Multistore SSL Question

Can someone please help me out as to how SSL works with multistore... specifically:

I want to run two stores in multistore mode using different domains. I've read up on how to set this up and I'm fine with most of it, but how do I assign SSL certificate when I believe each certificate has to have a unique IP address and I belive you caqn only have one cert per cPanel account?

Many thanks

Good question. I am just doing the same thing myself across 6 domains each with different urls.

I had hoped to find an answer on this thread but since nobody has anything to add I will update with my experiences as to how to proceed if/when I am successful. Hope this helps.

Can I ask you what hosting you have for your 2 domains? Shared, VPS, or dedicated?

So far the 5 additional domains / stores I have pointed to the main installation. They do not have hosting assigned to them. I have used domain mapping and updated the A records of each domain. In theory I am hoping that a single SSL will be enough for the main store and then to update the path of the SSL for each of the additional stores accordingly.

All a bit hazy at the moment - will do my best

Edited by BossThemes (see edit history)

Thank you for reply. I too have spent many hours searching this morning, and I'm quite surprised there is nowhere that seems to document how SSL can work in this situation.

Firstly, my setup has not been created yet! so I'm pretty flexible as to how it can be done. Currently my default intention is to host the two sites on a singled shared hosting account (anticipated low volume initially). The shared hosting account use cPanel, and of course I don't have root access (although it is Reseller account so I do have access to update DNS for all domains I add/park)

I was planning to create the account using a default domain - say domain1.com, then create a subfolder(s) for my shops which will be accessed via domain2.com, and domain3.com

Note: I need to confirm first that PS itself can work only from two addon domains or whether it needs to be installed agains the master domain with additional domains as addons.

Now regardless of that, from what I've understood, an SSL cert must be assigned a unique IP address, and furthermore cPanel only supports one IP addresss per account. So what I don't understand is how people are setting up multiple stores in PS (on same hosting account) with different domains and SSL for each, unless perhaps the carts are handled via a common secure subdomain that is shared by all stores? (but that seems unlikely). Or, as you suggest, I only need SSL for the main domain (as seen in PS) and that somehow PS will allow this for other domains (again I can't see how, as SSL will fail if the domain changes?)

Thanks

Edited by redactuk (see edit history)

Anyone else have any experience with this?

I have to be honest I'm finding it very hard to believe that such a mjor effort has been spent on supporting multistore, and presumably there has been a good take up of the functionality, yet nowhere is there any documentation or discussion about how you install SSL on any of the shops in the multistore when you can't have more than one SSL per IP address and one IP address per cPanel account. So please can someone shed some light on how this is done?

Thanks

Further feedback for anyone reading this thread. While the newest SSL certs can support multiple top-level domains per certificate and therefore per IP address, unfortunately this is not possible with cPanel - which is what I' using. Apparently support for this for cPanel is being looked at for the future but is not possible right now.

So basically anyone wanting to run Prestashop multi store and use SSL with several different top-level domains for each shop can't do this with cPanel. I believe it can be done with other panels but I've not researched which as yet.

Edited by redactuk (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Further feedback for anyone reading this thread. While the newest SSL certs can support multiple top-level domains per certificate and therefore per IP address, unfortunately this is not possible with cPanel - which is what I' using. Apparently support for this for cPanel is being looked at for the future but is not possible right now.

So basically anyone wanting to run Prestashop multi store and use SSL with several different top-level domains for each shop can't do this with cPanel. I believe it can be done with other panels but I've not researched which as yet.

I've just found this out the hard way. I nearly launched then noticed the conflict of SSLs because of this very reason. I know it's not Prestashop's fault, just very disappointed.

Hi

We are running a SSL for 3 stores soon to be 5. http://www.premiershipmodels.co.uk / .us / .com.au

We found our solution from Commodo using multi domian cert, and we are running Cpanel. Chat to these guys, they were very helpful.

Visit: http://ssl.comodo.com/

Hope they can help.

Nick

NB. to test SSL just go to the contact us page for each site.

Edited by Teapot Creative (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

We are running a SSL for 3 stores soon to be 5. http://www.premiershipmodels.co.uk / .us / .com.au

We found our solution from Commodo using multi domian cert, and we are running Cpanel. Chat to these guys, they were very helpful.

Visit: http://ssl.comodo.com/

When purchasing a multi-domain certificate, how long does it take when you want extra domains in that certificate?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

here is my tuppence worth...

if you have a main site abc.com and multi stores 123.com and 456.com. they will more than likely be on abc.com/123 and abc.com/456

so you put the SSL on abc.com and it will work as abc.com/123 and abc.com/456 , however, the user will still see the domain name 123.com and 456.com

i dont think you can have https://123.com/quick-order and https://456.com/quick-order , if you do, you would require 2 ssl's