I am starting a website in Prestashop with large number of categories and subcategories. After i failed in wordpress by reaching a maximum numbers of categories with jigoshop and woocomerce i decided to test Prestashop viewing a website where it says that it's suports unlimited categories and subcategories. In wordpress i worked 3 days to add like 700 categoies and subcategories until i reached a point where to add a new category i should wait like more than 10 seconds. I have more than 6000 categories and subcategories and i want to know if prestashop latest version(default theme and modules) supports so many categories? Any answer is apreciated. Thank You

Early versions of PS had speed problems with too much categories but that has been solved long ago. But 6000 categories is a lot and I haven't experience with that much.

One thing about the theme: you might compare the 1.4 and 1.5 theme. Personally I prefer the 1.4 theme for giving a better overview of the categories.

A lot of your answer depends on your server. If you are using a standard shared hosting account, more than likely you will have problems. If you are using a vps or dedicated, you more than likely will not. Checkout staples.com that is a prestashop installation, they have lots of products and categories.