I am having a lot of trouble regarding the terms of service with my PS websites. I have two concerns.

How can I require that the customer clicks on the terms of service and scrolls to the bottom before they can proceed? By default, PS only requires that you check the box stating that you read the terms, but does not actually require that they open and look at them. I am finding that a lot of people are clearly not reading the terms, violating them, and asking me questions that were clearly answered in the terms. I would like some way to really force them to open the terms of service.

Also, when I update my terms of service, is there some way to require that all returning customers read the updated terms and agree to them before they can continue?

Thanks!

Moderation Action- Moved to Add-On's Forum

Why? It is about the terms of service of her store.

How can I require that the customer clicks on the terms of service and scrolls to the bottom before they can proceed? I would like some way to really force them to open the terms of service.

Also, when I update my terms of service, is there some way to require that all returning customers read the updated terms and agree to them before they can continue?

Both of these are tall orders. You really cannot make them to read the terms unless they are interested in it.

A while back a company (can't remember which) added a clause midway their terms that read someting like "we promise to give $1000 to everyone who reads this sentence". They had one person applying for the money in six months :|

Also something to ponder. Did you read the T&C for this forum when you registered? Do you read the ones for dozens of web sites you visit. It is just not practical for one to go through every T&C for every website one interacts, my $0.02

I was wondering why it was moved to add-ons too. Lol.

I do realize getting people to read the terms is like pulling teeth, but I really need to try. The terms starts out with information about how their items are delivered and that we will ban them for signing up with fake information. Yet, these people just keep using fake information and having no clue how to get their items. I also have that information posted in the primary navigation of the site as well. It is quite irritating. I have seen some sites that force people to click the TOS link and scroll down the page before you can continue. While some people might be annoyed by it, I think it is a good idea. I think if my customers see that the very first thing in the TOS is the information on how they get their items, they might at least read the first sections that are most important.

Hey Jessica, sorry I moved it to Add-On's, I have moved it back. Thanks @phrasespot,

This would require custom coding and is as phrasespot mentioned a "tall order"

To be honest, those sites and installations that require you to scroll all the way down, I simply scroll all the way down without reading it. Instead of that I would post the important information somewhere that all the people can see, possibly in the Homepage, a CMS page, or even on each product page.

I do realize getting people to read the terms is like pulling teeth, but I really need to try.

In that case, here are some ideas without going into implementation details as it would be tedious to explain the steps. Your developer should be able to implement it in a couple of hours.

ToS acceptance page is where there is a checkbox to confirm 'I accept...' at checkout steps. ToS page is where you show the ToS.

Make the standard PS ToS acceptance compulsary in PS settings. Attach an event handler to the acceptance checkbox to overlay a modal window with your ToS where the only dismiss button is at the bottom of the ToS.

Alternative:

Place a ToS cookie from the ToS page and at ToS acceptance page do not allow proceeding to the next step until you can read the ToS cookie back (e.g. hide the next button and/or diplay a dialog). Detecting whether the ToS page is scrolled to the bottom is a bit more involved, but possible.

The former can be done only in JavaScript without touching any core code. For the latter one you will need to adjust ToS acceptance page template a little to adjuxt 'next' button logic.

I do agree with Benjamin though. Enforcement of this nature will just increase the irritation for you and for your visitors. For your visitors because even repeat visitors will be subjected to the same treatment. For you because you will get the type of issues/questions you are getting now even if you were to tattoo the ToS on their chest (I am not suggesting that you do :)

Edited to add one non-technical possible solution

Sporadically sprinkle discount voucher codes to the ToS and advertise this fact everywhere on your site.

Edited by phrasespot (see edit history)