Virtual Private Server requirements?

Hi guys:

I need to know what the minimum requirements for a virtual private server (VPS) would be?

I'm planning to move my Prestashop from a shared hosting account to a basic VPS. The minimum and mos economical I have found is 256MB RAM, 1 x 1Ghz vCPU, 10GB disk space, 200GB monthly bandwidth. Would that be enough for a couple of Prestashop sites including its MySQL databases, and all the back end processing needed and some other unrelated content?

Good technical knowledge of this will be appreciate it

Thank you.

Roger

You could always try it and see if it meets your needs. Sometimes a shared server on a recommended host who doesn't oversell space can work fine. That size vps isn't enough to run memcached, but you only need memcached if you have a ton of traffic. I have several large sites, not a huge amount of traffic, and my vps has a gig and a half of RAM and a 2.69 ghz cpu and is perfect for my needs. I could probably get by with less, but my traffic could start spiking, so I'm staying.

• Like 1

You could always try it and see if it meets your needs. Sometimes a shared server on a recommended host who doesn't oversell space can work fine. That size vps isn't enough to run memcached, but you only need memcached if you have a ton of traffic. I have several large sites, not a huge amount of traffic, and my vps has a gig and a half of RAM and a 2.69 ghz cpu and is perfect for my needs. I could probably get by with less, but my traffic could start spiking, so I'm staying.

rtuner: That's exactly the problem; how do we know the providers that do not oversell? I'm currently hosting with 3 companies cloning the Prestashop sites and databases with three or more different domains. I have done this for testing purposes, ping and trace routes from where I am and what has been more important lately, the time to first byte, which is the most critical issue for the load event on my sites.

Actually my testing has proven that no hosting providers works equal, i.e. the three of them respond on different hops, ping times and time to first byte. I will actually name them since what we really need is clarification and caution as customers from this providers, goDaddy is serving me the worst time to first byte, sometimes up to 7 seconds, hostGatoris in between with up to 2 seconds for time to first byte and site5 is giving me the best response time with 700ms ping time and 700ms to 1.3 sec time to first byte.

Another factor that's complicating things is the lack of root access for several performance techniques and services we can not implement. For instance, I can use the NewRelic monitoring service which I consider immensely usefull and detailed. To implement their service you need root access and for several other services and modules like mod_pageSpeed Apache module.

For all of the below stated arguments, plus the added price spike I would have to assume for migrating at a VPS or Cloud Server, I do really need experience testimonials as for the basics since my site is new and with too little traffic (5-10 visits a day). I just like the idea of having full control of my server.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I agree with you when it comes to lack of root access on shared servers. That's a big reason why I have a vps at hostgator. My different sites average about 1 sec to first byte, (but I'm not sure those tests measure the first byte of actual data that's hitting a browser). I'm using Cloudcache to serve images, css, javascript, etc. and it's helped my site speed in different parts of the world. I haven't measured that in a while. I was using Amazon cloudfront, but Cloudcache gives you a little more control I felt.

I used a shared server at pair.com for many years. They weren't oversold, my sites were fast and I had a lot of control via shell, but not root. They pretty much let me put anything on there unless they felt a process would impact the server.

Up until the 1.4.9 upgrade, I wasn't having slowness due to hosts; it was due to prestashop. I have a huge site and my large product categories used to crawl. In 1.4.9 the developers made some changes (database handling? smarty? I have no idea) but my large site is now super fast.

• 2 years later...

Hostgator email

We had noticed that the cpu usage of the script which you are using for the conversion is very huge and there are huge number of fail counts with the VPS parameter, "tcpsndbuf" the total size of buffers used to send data over TCP network connections and socket limit. So the application need more process and sockets than a VPS can provide.

So you should concert them to Thumbnails as small small batches or you have to got for a dedicated server to get enough resource to the application.

this post in from 2012, please open new post.