Update Shipping to Soap XML exchange

jharkins

Hello,

I am needing to update the shipping cost to my carrier's cost during checkout.

1. I don't know where to begin in Prestashop to inject the code.

2. I have no PHP experience (I believe this is a matter of taking the code and applying it in the header section)

3. I REALLY need help.

If you would be so kind as to let me know where I need to begin I would appreciate it. I am able to search through the Prestashop directory that I have both on my host and as downloaded in Dreamweaver.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

so if I am reading between the lines, you have an external service that will provide you with a shipping cost, likely based on the customers delivery address, and that service provides an XML (SOAP) based interface?

If you have no prestashop or php experience, I applaud you for wanting to take on this effort, however you are in for a steep learning curve. It will likely be much more than "taking code and applying it to the header."

Does this external service provide documentation on how to use their SOAP based interface? If so, please provide it

I believe that you are right on track with what I am trying to do. Essentially, from the order we'd take the customers address, the total weight of the order, and send it to the carrier via SOAP XML to in turn receive the shipping cost and apply it to the order.

I've attached a PDF with information in regards to the carriers XML usage and believe that I only need to use the "RateMyShipment" and use <FinalBillAmount>double</FinalBillAmount> to display to the customer.

After customer orders then I would need to send the "Confirm Shipment" to finalize it with the carrier.

Most of the XML parts are going to be static so I believe variables would be limited. At least I hope.

Here is a website with additional information about the carrier http://www.carrierrate.com/FMS/forum.html

The shipping company has more than reasonable rates for some pretty heavy orders from my understanding of this so I'm sure for anyone within the PrestaShop realm in the U.S. could benefit from this if they are ever shipping freight.

Carrierrate Web Service Usage Guide.pdf

You would need to create a CarrierModule that ignores the core prestashop shipping and carrier settings, and instead utilize these services to determine what shipping methods and rates would be available.

You could review the canadapost module that is included with prestashop v1.4.8.2 to get an idea of the complexity. If you would like to hire someone to create this module, send me a PM and we can discuss those details.

Just from a quick search through google it seems that the canada post module creates various headaches. Right now I'm looking at http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS14/Carrier+modules+-+functions,+creation+and+configuration so it seems that you would be right in regards to having to create a Carrier Module and it seems as though there is a basis for an external carrier to use a webservice.

While I'd love to be able to hire someone I do not have that option...I'm afraid the amount I would have available would probably only pay someone enough for two hours of work. thank you for the consideration though bellini13.