[SOLVED] After updgrading & renaming admin folder can't access the backoffice

I recently upgraded a site I'm developing using the auto upgrade guide. Everything worked fine initially, but now I'm getting the message informing me that I need to delete the install folder (already done that) and rename the admin folder - which I have done also.

The problem is, when I try to access the admin section now using the new URL I get a message stating the page cannot be found. I've read several different posts on here about this already, but none of them offer a solution that works for me.

The url of the site for the backoffice is: http://79.170.44.90/cfw-kitchen-worktops-dev.co.uk/admincfw

The site is hosted on a shared hosting server so I'm not able to restart apache myself. I have read that it may be a caching issue.

I've also checked the permissions on the renamed admin folder and they are set to 755.

Any help with this is most appreciated.

Hi dcman,

It looks to me like you actually haven't renamed the admin folder yet. Go ahead and navigate to /admin instead of /admincfw and you'll see what I mean.

That is likely the cause of these issues, go ahead and try fixing that and let me know if that works any better for you.

-Mike

Thanks Mike - weird city here with this folder renaming. I'm looking at the file list on the server in Dreamweaver and it's showing me the admin folder has been renamed to admincfw, as I posted. However, that's producing a 404 error. In Firefox (and only in Firefox) I'm able to login to the backend using the name admin as the admin folder - I have also just managed to upgrade Prestashop to the 1.4.73 via the auto-upgrade option too, in other browsers I'm still getting the message asking me to rename the folder.

This is either a caching issue with Dreamweaver or the web server - would you agree?

Hi dcman,

I was using Chrome when I navigated to /admin, so I don't think it's just something with Firefox. Who is your hosting provider? You may want to call them directly to ask what is causing this, because it definitely appears that the folder has yet to be renamed for one reason or another, and they would be the best ones to help you identify the issue.

-Mike

Mike - your swift replies are most appreciated. However, I must confess that I am an idiot. I was looking at the totally wrong version of the site in Dreamweaver, which is why the folder is not renamed. I have since entered the correct FTP details for the site and am currently in the process of working with the correct set of files. Incidentally, as it's allowing me to log-in to the back office without renaming the folder can I still leave it as admin??

Mike - your swift replies are most appreciated. However, I must confess that I am an idiot. I was looking at the totally wrong version of the site in Dreamweaver, which is why the folder is not renamed. I have since entered the correct FTP details for the site and am currently in the process of working with the correct set of files. Incidentally, as it's allowing me to log-in to the back office without renaming the folder can I still leave it as admin??

Well I'm glad you were able to identify the issue! And no, you should NEVER leave the folder as /admin. If you do so, you will leave your site much more vulnerable to attack. This is why we require all users to rename this folder.

-Mike

• Like 1