[SOLVED] Unable to add static link to blockcategories.tpl 1.4.7

Anyone else have this issue? I was able to add in static links in my previous version 1.3.2 but after editing blockcategories.tpl, category-tree-branch.tpl and category-cms-tree-branch.tpl nothing I add seems to display in the store.

Great, I'm glad I could help! I'll go ahead and mark this thread as solved for you. Happy selling!

-Mike

Actually I think this has raised another issue with my upgrade to 1.4.7 - I can only view this amend when I turn off caching in the performance section of the back office?! Once I turn it back on and save it disappears.

Is this normal?

Hi Mike,

I've tried clearing the cache a couple of times now but it's making no difference. The only way the new menu item displays is when I turn caching off. Could this be related to the SSL / 301 errors my install is having?!

Hi Mike,

[rant]The website's been struggling all morning due to a large spike in visitors as a result of some TV coverage. I have to say the upgrade to 1.4.7 has been a disaster for my client. Not only is the SSL not working which has resulted in Paypal having to be disabled and Sagepay only working with SSL OFF very few visitors were able to get on the website and make purchases compared to other times when these spikes have happened.[/rant]

RE the cache issue, any of the product pages like here: http://www.rubycotton.com/22-new-in under 'SALE ITEMS' is where the text 'RUBY IN THE NEWS' should be appearing but only comes on when Cache is disabled.

Thanks Mike!

Hi James,

In terms of the speed of your site from a traffic spike, this is a hosting issue, not anything to do with PrestaShop. I would give them a call to try to fix this.

And as for the caching issue, can you please post a specific link where I can see what's going on? If I'm navigating around based on your instructions, there's no guarantee I will see exactly what you're seeing, and thus may not be able to give you the proper instructions.

-Mike

Hi James,

In terms of the speed of your site from a traffic spike, this is a hosting issue, not anything to do with PrestaShop. I would give them a call to try to fix this.

And as for the caching issue, can you please post a specific link where I can see what's going on? If I'm navigating around based on your instructions, there's no guarantee I will see exactly what you're seeing, and thus may not be able to give you the proper instructions.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Was on to the hosting company and we do need to upgrade the package.

Would you like me to PM you back office details so you can test it yourself?

Thanks,

James

Sure,

As I mentioned above:

RE the cache issue, any of the product pages like here: http://www.rubycotton.com/22-new-in under 'SALE ITEMS' in the categories block / main navigation is where the text 'RUBY IN THE NEWS' should be appearing but this will only appear to me and my client when I turn preferences->performance-> cache: no.

Check that page now and confirm if you can see it, then I'll turn cache off and ask you to check again?

Hi James,

I'm asking for a specific link for a reason. Otherwise, I cannot guarantee that I will be seeing the exact same thing as you. Even if its the same for all of them, please select one specific item and link me directly to it. Once you've done that, I'll take a look. I apologize if this seems a little bit strange, but we have more than 300,000 users on this forum, so in order to provide assistance we must have all the necessary information to replicate an error.

-Mike

Thanks, that's better. Again, I know it may seem strange but this is a very large community, and this forum is a community resource. This is why we need everything to be descriptive as possible However, I'm still not seeing Ruby in the News on this page. Is your cache currently set to on or off?

post-276528-0-59040900-1333123925_thumb.png

-Mike

Do you have access to your site via FTP? If so, can you please delete everything EXCEPT index.php in your tools/smarty/compile and tools/smarty/cache directories and then reload the page with caching turned back on?

-Mike

Yes. I can delete everything in that directory but there is no index.php in there just a lot of similarly named files:

/webspace/httpdocs/tools/smarty/cache

'blockcategories^1_1_0_13^51f1e4a3f9cbec778c72b1abec656087b1ea3f7a.blockcategories.tpl.php'

UPDATE: I've just added an index.php ( from same folder) from a fresh download of prestashop 1.4.7.

Deleted all files but index.php. Cache: On. Force Compile: Off. Still not showing up for me here :-/

You didn't need to add the index.php if it wasn't there, you just couldn't delete it. Go ahead and remove the one you added manually, it's not needed there.

Additionally, is this your own customized theme, or did you purchase it?

-Mike

Ok deleted! There were a few more of those other files in there when I went back inthere, so I've deleted those too.

It's customize theme I had built that worked fine on 1.3.2 but since the upgrade a couple of weeks back it's been acting up.

Ok deleted! There were a few more of those other files in there when I went back inthere, so I've deleted those too.

It's customize theme I had built that worked fine on 1.3.2 but since the upgrade a couple of weeks back it's been acting up.

It's possible then that the issue could have roots in the upgrade, if the theme wasn't upgraded too to be fully compatible. Can you please try temporarily switching to the default theme to see if it shows up properly for that one?

-Mike

Could you switch it back again quickly and let me know once you've done so, so that I can see it for myself?

-Mike

Yeah sure, if you give me a time that you'll be ready to check it out I'll make the switch for a couple of minutes. It's 9:47am here right now (GMT).

Thanks,

James

OK thanks, you can switch it back now. Additionally, can you please post a screenshot of your category listings in the Back Office, along with the settings for that specific category causing you these issues?

-Mike

I've added it in manually, it doesn't exist as a category item.

<!-- Block categories module -->
<div id="categories_block_left" class="block">
<h4>{l s='SHOP NOW' mod='blockcategories'}</h4>
<div class="block_content">
 <ul class="tree {if $isDhtml}dhtml{/if}">
 {foreach from=$blockCategTree.children item=child name=blockCategTree}
  {if $smarty.foreach.blockCategTree.last}
   {include file="$branche_tpl_path" node=$child last='true'}
  {else}
   {include file="$branche_tpl_path" node=$child}
  {/if}
 {/foreach}
 <li><a href="http://www.rubycotton.com/content/27-ruby-in-the-news" title="Ruby in the news">RUBY IN THE NEWS</a></li>
 </ul>
 {* Javascript moved here to fix bug #PSCFI-151 *}
 <script type="text/javascript">
 // <![CDATA[
  // we hide the tree only if JavaScript is activated
  $('div#categories_block_left ul.dhtml').hide();
 // ]]>
 </script>
</div>
</div>
<!-- /Block categories module -->

Yes I did that before when you asked me to. This way used to work fine in 3.2.1.

I'll have a look at the block advertising module now thanks!

That should work much better for you, and be more attractive to your customers as well. Let me know how that works for you!

-Mike

It works but client don't want to use images, they'd rather just be able to add extra links that look like they are part of the categories block. Is there any other work around where I could create a category but link a CMS created page to it?!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mike!

I just noticed that the new list item that I've added is appearing at the end of each category rather than just the end of all categories. Is this just to do with where I have placed it in the block categories code?