How do I go about importing products with several Features successfully via a csv import?

I have an Excel document with the following data:

Refernce #;URL rewritten;Name *;Price tax excl.;Categorie;Feature (Tube Size);Feature (Thread Size);Image URLs
NSE01;nse-01;"Elbow Meter In 4mm to 1/8""";4.32;Push-in Plastic;04mm;"1/8""";http://test.co.uk/import/NSE.jpg
NSE02;nse-02;"Elbow Meter Out 4mm to 1/8""";4.32;Push-in Plastic;04mm;"1/8""";http://test.co.uk/import/NSE.jpg

I have then imported a dozen test items to see how it works.

This thread was of use when creating my csv:

[solved] Field List for Creating Importable CSV File

The following thread showed how you must add a separate column for each individual Feature.

[solved] How to import features and values by csv

The problem I'm having is that even though I've created the features ready in the Back Office when I try and import them here: BO > Tools > CSV Import it only imports one of the attributes and it stores it as a Customized value instead of a Pre-defined value (see attached).

The problem here is that these imported features do not work with the Layered Navigation block.

If I look in phpMyAdmin I can see a table called ps_feature_lang

In here I have: id_feature ; id_lang ; name

There are two different id_features that have the name "Thread Size".

What am I doing wrong or how can I best setup my CSV for mass import of features?

post-336567-0-72146900-1332940723_thumb.png

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The data sheet is very important, and I was importing multiple features fine with 1.4.7, but in 1.5.2 only the last feature column in my csv file will go in.

Would it be OK for someone to explain exactly what we have to do in our csv files to import multiple features into 1.5.2 vs 1.4.7?

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Good news, You can import multiple features in PS 1.5.2!

(I never used the 1.3.x and 1.4.x branches, I come straight from 1.2.5, so I do not know if this is going to work for those with those versions).

Granted the field definition coming from the import page was making it confusing or at the very least contains an error.

Granted it is slightly different from what I knew on PS 1.2.5 since a LOT of things have been changed but it was not very hard to guess after all was even quite logical and similar to the way attributes were handled in import.

Enough talking you are all waiting for the miracle recipe aren't you?

What you need to know:

Feature(Name:Value:Position)

is in fact

Features (Feature1Name:Feature1Value:Feature1Position,Feature2Name:Feature2Value:Feature2Position...)

So yes you have to put ALL the features of a product in ONE SINGLE field and separate them with a comma ',' as being defined by default for "Multiple value separator".

It works perfectly fine.

Edit: Do not bother with the Position too much it does not seem to work or I have not figured it out yet :)

You need to use the exact same spelling and case (just as for the Attributes) so it finds the proper Feature and the proper Value.

If the Value entered is not defined for a Feature, it will then save it as a custom one and not as a new defined Value.

You just need to be cautious when making your .csv but it is working just fine.

Hope this helps a bunch of yours reading this.

Ok now I have a rant to make. No disrespect aimed to anyone particularly but I would like this to serve as future reference for everyone rushing to blame a few billions line of code project provided to everyone for FREE.

It's unbelieve that an e-commerce CMS have problem like this.

<rant>

Dear Mura82,

what is UNBELIEVABLE to me is that some people will always blame something which was provided to them for free, when not only it is working, but tips/info on anyone very screen was giving way enough leads to find the solution by yourself.

If you are not happy with Prestashop support, if you are not happy with service provided to you as it is for FREE (updates to come regularly), fell free to find a paid CMS with a paid support to assist you with all your needs.

At the very least anyone using those forums should read all the available documentation at the time and guess what is missing.

Anyone lacking of the technical skills or experience to fully understand what some IT are talking about here, should get assisted by someone who knows about that kind of stuff, and be PATIENT if he/she needs to get help (FOR FREE) by some other people sharing their free time.

I can see way too many people who ask stuff already in the documentation (RTFM!), or which was asked just a few threads before.

Respect the people who help you, individuals, coders, moderators, PrestaTeam by looking for the answers first.

</rant>

Sorry for the ranting, but I had to split it out ;)

Cheers!

Edited by Muad'Dib (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...