Hi,

I have installed my shop and all the necessary modules but I needed help from anybody who has done this int he past.

I actually have all my product data including categories, meta description and tags, prices, product description etc. on another website, which I can download as a CSV from the database.

But the problem I am facing is there is no set template to upload this as a CSV on to Prestashop. Does anyone have a working template of a similar CSV?

Please let me know as this will save a lot of time from keying in information onto the site which it time consuming when there are over 400 products!

Thanks in advance.

Praveen

Hi phrasespot,

I also have a problem with the Import function.

Long time zencart user (don't hate it) but want to also move in to Prestashop. The Import (Export) feature is only real thing holding me up. Otherwise, Prestashop and a free template are ready to go out of the box. Very nice cart!

Anyway, I downloaded the example Import for Products from the Presta admin. Definitely not as easy to use as any zencart Easy Populate. Many items seem to be in one cell, more in another cell.

To perhaps make it easier, can you or someone provide an actual Products Import sheet with a few products in it? Does it look exactly as what I get from the admin example? Thanks.

sph

www.prom-mart.com (Prestashop test site)

zencarts

www.prommart.com

www.fashion-mart.biz

This is far from the best example of a csv file, but hopefully it helps. This is to import products with the categories already made. www.designhaus42.com/testcsv.zip

There are several custom fields in the file too like watts and cord length. Also, if you try to test import it a , is the value separator.

Got it, thanks! Now, this looks alot like the zencart Easy Populates. Something I should be able to understand and work with.

And it definitely looks different than the one I downloaded from Presta admin.

Thanks again.

I need help, or someone to hold my hand while going through the CSV import process. Some many questions....so little resources!

1. I don't have to fill in all the columns, right? I can choose to ignore the ones NOT filled out after import, right?

2. What's the difference between the URL image and URL re-written?

3. Is this how I would rewrite the Image url.....http://www.myshopname.com/Images/subcategoryname/name of file

4. I'd like to add Length, Height and Width in my upload, is this possible?

5. I am using Excel and understand changing it to a CSV file but do I have to have my column headings (that I will skip) in the same order as they appear on the product listing import page on Prestashop?

Someone please take pity on me. I've watched all the youtubes I can find, I'll searched all the forums, I even signed up for PrestaTraining videos which didn't tell "jack" about using the import.... :(

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

3. Is this how I would rewrite the image url.....http://www.myshopname.com/Images/subcategoryname/name of file

Has anyone gotten a clear answer on how we are supposed to type the image url in the CSV?

I have tried multiple ways and nothing seems to work. I managed to import all items through csv, but I receive errors with image url import. I uploaded product images via FTP but they are still not showing up. If you figure this out please let me know.

The image url is where the image is stored. What I do is upload all of the images to a directory on the server say site.com/images Then I put the url for each image in the image url. Prestashop will then import the images into prestashop. The images have to be in place before you run the csv file. Your store does not load the images from that location, prestashop loads the images from that location when you import the csv. That makes it so that prestashop can scale and resize the images.

I tried to upload the images to the upload folder and then re-import the csv-- but still not working. Here is my link

http://www.jewelrybyjamie.com

As you can see, there are missing link grey boxes where images should be. The ones showing up are the sample products and 3 that I uploaded through BO. I wrote the url links like this

'http://www.jewelrybyjamie.com/upload/image1.jpg'

did not work. I have also tried without quotes-- still not working.

• 1 month later...

I was finally able to upload the images after several attempts. My url was correct -- using the format exactly as shown without quotes

http://www.mysite.com/upload/image.JPG

I can only guess that I had 3 things wrong:

1.) My permissions in my upload folder was not set to 777

2.) My permissions in my img folder and the ones inside it were not set to 777

3.) My file extension was not in ALL CAPS-- make sure to write it as exactly as shown = csv import is caps sensitive. (Mine was .JPG)

After making these changes, I was able to upload the images.

For anyone else having this problem, make sure to delete existing images during your csv import. If you don't, the cover image will remain a grey box with a question mark.

I hope this will help!

Thanks for all who responded to my posts.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone have an "Actual" sample CSV files with the proper headers that they can post so us Newbs can have a starting point?

TIA

Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing to find? 

The example csv file that I downloaded, does not match any of the ones that I find instructions with. It looked like a 3rd grader had filled it out, To say it was confusing and useless would be a gross understatement.

Boo on prestashop not taking any of these questions seriously