How do I change Category order - move established one below a new one?

I am new to Prestashop and just getting started organizing the store. I find I need to change the structure of the categories that I started, dropping an established category (with products) to a level below one I want to create. Is there a way to change the level of a category, to drop it below or move it above a newly created one?

I have a set of products in a category called FIltration Equipment, I want to change its name to Fluval FIlters and drop it below the Filtration Equipment category. I want to drop in a number of other brand categories below the Filtration Equipment category insterad of having all the products in one place.

Is it possible to move categories up or down without having to delete and redo the products that were in it?

Thanks

• Like 1

I understand that this can be used to reorder the categories on their own level, I have done that before.

But, I want to change the actual level, move an entire category with its inserted products, from the same level (filtration equipment and fluvalFilters in the list) to where the tree structure shows the Filtration Equipment on one full category level above the Fluval Filters - The Fluval Filters need to be demoted to become a sub-category or child directory of Filtration Equipment, instead of being on the same level in the overall structure.

Sorry not to be clear

Go into the category and use the display tree to choose what the category displays under. Just click edit on the category, and and close to the bottom of the screen there is a tree with radio buttons, use that to select where you want it to show up.

Hello, I have a similar need to change the order of my already established categories. I want to be able to create hierarchy from my existing categories, and to drag and drop existing categories into other existing categories. I have not found a way besides using add-ons to accomplish this.

You seem to be describing a way to do it within the category edit, but I cannot drag and drop at all. The only way I can see to organize my categories is to reorder them on the same level with the up and down arrows. I am using Prestashop 1.4.7.0

Are you using an add-on? If so what add-ons would you recommend for what I am looking for? If not what might I be doing wrong?

A drag and drop interface for organizing my categories would save me immeasurable amounts of time, your advice is greatly appreciated.

-Roger

Ok I understand how this is done now. It is easy if not intuitive. I was able to arrange a much more sensible hierarchy for my categories. I just wish the entire category tree was drag and droppable it would make sorting categories and testing out different layouts so much faster.

Anyways I would like to thank you for staying with me DesignHaus42, and I hope Blueram85 found your advice as helpful as I did.

Regards,

Roger

• 5 months later...

Ok I understand how this is done now. It is easy if not intuitive. I was able to arrange a much more sensible hierarchy for my categories. I just wish the entire category tree was drag and droppable it would make sorting categories and testing out different layouts so much faster.

I'm trying to change categories hierarchy using drag and drop, but I was not able to do that.

Have you the time to explain me how did you managed that operation?

Thanks for your time.

Lapo

• 1 year later...

I do not see any way to drag and drop either.

I have 50 categories in my Shop by Brand subcategory, and as I add new ones, they go to the bottom.  I need to re-order them and that little incremental arrow (and waiting for the update each time) is an absolute nightmare to deal with.

If there is drag-and-drop capabilities please explain how to use them if you can.  I need em bad!

Thank you.

• 6 years later...