Need Feedback

medfordite

Hi -

We have had our store online for about a month now and our hits are steadily growing which is nice (around 10-15 daily added), but we are not getting any conversion and are finding that a lot of people pop in - but then leave without looking around at what is being offered.

We need some feedback as to if the shipping charges are what are throwing people off, or if it is the cost of the items.

Be honest, and don't be afraid to tell it like it is. :) If we don't know, we can't fix it!

The theme is Prestashop Default so we know that is probably going to give a few bad marks, but at the same time, that is what the shop owner has budgeted for since it is a new start up.

Right now, we are limiting the store to US orders only because of restrictions by the vendor and are working to fix that, but for the time being, we don't see that as an issue since everyone that visits just seems again to hit one or two pages, without even doing a cart to find out it is US shipping.

The site is here.

Your feedback is needed.

Hi,

Congratulations on your first site !

To me the main issue is the lack of images when you first enter the site ... I know it's difficult if your client did not give you any budget, but the logo is small and mostly text, and the pics are really small on the homepage...

When you're on a laptop with not a huge screen, the first things you see on the page are a lot of text, and no image, unless you immediately scroll down... That is really the thing that threw me off, and does not really make you want to explore the site

Also, you don't really understand what is being sold : "cute gifts" is very general, and not super clear ...

Maybe it could be useful to have gifts sorted by who you're going to give them to ? like "gifts for kids", "gifts for your dad" etc... because the selection is very wide and eclectic, it would be good to help visitors easily find gifts...

As it is, there might be too many categories and subcategories... I might be a good idea to use tags more, and reduce the number of categories ? It gets a little confusing (candles and candleholders could easily fit in the home decor category)...

Other than that, I don't think the shipping fees are a problem, or the price of the items.

There are plenty of free prestashop themes that could work better than the default one, I think, like :

http://dgcraft.free.fr/blog/index.php/category/themes-prestashop/

http://www.webtemplatesblog.com/archives/2010/08/12/15-free-prestashop-themes/

good luck with this site !

2 comments for Categories - great feedback! We are noticing one hit wonders, people come in but leave pretty quick so that may explain some of it.

As for text, I will have to look into that - using Prestashop default theme, I figured it might be a bit more universal, but maybe not?

Please keep the feedback coming. I will communicate with my client on the categories later today.

It's not clear to me what exactly the site is selling. It says it's for cute things, but the front page has a crossword puzzle game, crystal lamp, jewellery and shower curtains, none of which I would associate with the word cute. But that's more of a business model issue than a website issue. ;)

I would definitely increase the size of the product images, and consolidate the LONG category list if possible. Also, I don't think the text at the top of the centre column should be the first thing you see. I'd put the products front and centre.

• 2 weeks later...

The Category list has be shortened dramatically. I think things fit better there. We will work on the rest of the front page soon.

As for the product image sizes, unfortunately, our supplier doesn't supply very large pics so it is hard to get anything of higher quality or size.

For the center text - We are trying to strike a balance here, I know that for some parts of SEO, the content needs to be there for the search engines to feed off of.

From a design view though - I am agreeing with you on the center text. If I can move the text to the bottom (Using the Home Text editor), I will do that. But we would like to point out our specials on shipping etc...when they do occur and don't see a place really to put those.

Next step for us is probably going to be moving to a different template. We didn't use one with a horizontal menu to be honest because of the mega category thing we had going there. :) Will see what happens soon in that area.

• 1 month later...