Copying website to different URL for use in 2 languages

I have 2 websites, a Dutch one (domain1.nl) and an English version (domain1.com) they are hosted on the same server.

I have finished making the Dutch website with Dutch as a default language and now I would like to copy it to the English domain to have the same website running, using the same stock, but with English as a default language,

With FTP I have copied all files from the .nl to the .com website

I have logged into the BO at the .com website to change the default language to English.

Now both the .nl and the .com websites have English as a default setting

In other words, changes I am making in BO to the .com website are having effect on both websites.

The settings.inc.php file are identical.

Can I manually make changes in the files to override the language settings of the back office? And in which file can I change the default language?

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle

Hi elpatron,

Thanks for your reply. Is there any way to work around this? The only thing I need to be shared is the product catalog, for stock purposes.

Is 1.5 functional yet?

Lol about your signature - 1 week into Prestashop and very recognisable!

Michelle

Hi, there is no stable 1.5 version. jajajaja...i.e. sigy...browser has caused me more fake problems than I can count. I could even re-produce them and create bug reports, but no one else could. :)

I think there is a module someone has like tomerg that changes your language based on your browser language. Basically every browser request has the user's language, then it's a simple matter of setting the site language upon entry (assuming no previous cookie) to the language defined by you. Would this be what you are looking for? If so let me know and I'll pm a few members here that may have that...

Best of luck in your business

Fred

Hi Fred,

I thought I had a solution to work around this: Forward the Dutch domain to the Dutch version of the English domain (so forward domain1.nl to domain1.com/lang-nl/

Unfortunately I have now noticed that with 2 websites running on 1 database all the product links etc. now start with the url of the main domain name that I set in BO. So both the English and the Dutch products start with www.domain1.com instead of www.domain1.com for English products and www.domain1.nl for Dutch products which doesn't look right.

Basically, all the changes I make in BO affect both websites. So, also the Shop name I enter at the .com BO changes the Shop name of the .nl website, which is also the name in the subject title of all emails and there is no option there to switch between languages (i.e. have a Dutch Shop name and an English shop name).

It's all a bit of a mess now. *sigh*. I switched over to Prestashop to have the option of keeping track of stock and items not being sold out when a customer wants to order it, but now I'm not sure how (and if) I can make this work.

By the way, if you'd like to see where I'm at in action, it's www.leukestickertjes.nl and www.thecuteststickers.com

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

There are some pretty smart folks on this site who could probably help i.e. via some site to site service reduce stock from one site when it's sold on another. I would post this request under paid modules...to see if someone has it.

I can't imagine that 1.5 stable is going to be much longer. then you can repatriate into one which seems ideal for your requirements.

I would for now stick with domain1 and then 303 permanent redirect domain2 to domain1.

Hi Fred,

Thanks, I'll stick to the permanet redirect for now and look longingly forward to the release of a stable 1.5.

Will it be easy to upgrade from a current version? I have another 2 webshops that I'd like to link in a similar way. Can I already start setting up with the currenct version and then upgrade to 1.5 when it's available? Or would I be better off waiting and implementing the whole thing in one go?

Thanks,

Michelle