1.2.5 to 1.4 - Customers and Order Export & Import

Hi All,

I am in the process of developing my whole website again as my current website is 1.2.5.

I don't want to use the upgrade feature because the new site is going to be slightly different.

However, I want to transfer my customers and orders from my old shop to my new shop.

What's the best, safest and easiest way to do this?

And is it safe?

I have about 7000 customers and 10000 orders to transfer.

Thanks

but can you explain to me why you don't want to use the upgrade? i have upgraded many sites from 1.2.5 to v1.4, and trust me, it is a very easy process.

There are so many tables to import, using the upgrade option during the install is a much more realiable approach.

If you need assistance with that, send me a PM and I can offer my services to you.

I don't want to do that because there have been so many hard coded changes to our website i would run in to problems. Also i cannot afford to have any down time on our current website if it does go wrong.

Our SQL is 700MB alone!

We are a online business and 50-100 orders per day.

Also we want to make a fresh install of products etc.

thanks

have you even tried to perform the upgrade? or are you just assuming it will fail because of whatever customizations were made. were there customizations made to the database? or just the template files (.tpl, css, javascript etc..)

certainly do not perform the upgrade on your live site, before you have tested it. but you should atleast try to test the upgrade before you rule it out. to do this you perform these 3 steps. if you are not comfortable doing these steps, then I would strongly suggest you hire a developer to do it.

1) export your live database into a second test database

2) copy your entire site content to a subfolder

3) alter the config settings to use the test database

if you really want to export your orders and customers, then you will need to go through each database table (i have 174 tables) and determine which ones are associated to customers and orders.

export them all and then import them into your new database.

if you have made customizations to the database in 1.2, then you must decide what you will do with the fields in v1.4

• 3 weeks later...

boo hoo! 180 errors to database after trying a test upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4.7. I guess because I also have a lot of edits to the 1.3 store/database in all areas. it's to much to figure out. I might as well start over fresh and try to import products and customers. UGH!

Thanks bellini13 for suggesting to try a test store first, at least there is no down time or panic.

• Like 1