[SOLVED] Move my site to a new server?

existing server:

• download your current site using ftp to your local computer, folder mysite (for example)
  • using phpmyadmin on your remote server export (download) your production database

----

It's best if you can create a test site with a different URL name (or navigate by ip), then you can test your site and when satisfied you can then forward your production URL to it. How you do this depends on your hosting provider and your account type. I would suggest calling your new hosting provider and tell them you would like to create a new site you can test and then later point your existing url to when ready..i.e. no downtime or impact to your customers. Lot's less stress. :)

do not use a SUBDOMAIN, as they do not have full DNS, i.e. mx recrods etc etc..though you can have a full DNS with a subdomain like name.

migrating to new remote server...

• you will need to create a new db name/userid/passowrd on the new server and with phpmyadmin import your production database
  • you will need ftp credentials for new server, upload your complete site to the new server.
  • modify config/settings.inc.php with new db name (if changed), db userid (if changed) and db password (again if changed). upload to your config.settings.inc.php
  • now navigate to your back office-->preferences-->seo's and urls and change:

Shop domain name
Shop domain name SSL
to www.yoururl.com (note if you use test domain, then put your test domain name here, and will need to change this again when you cutover to your production url)
  • You should now be able to naviagate to your front office.

- if you use friendly urls, then make sure that you carry over your .htaccess file, this is typcially hidden. Most ftp programs allow you to set 'view hidden files'. Look for this when you download your oritinay site.

-there can be snags, the thing that most often trips people up is:

• permissions (but typically the ftp program will create the same permissons)
  • new remote server is not configured properly for PrestaShop. You can test this by downloading a fresh ps installtion and installing per these instructions. The installatioin process will check that important server support is installed. This is worth the effort because debugging an ftp'ed site whose server doesn't have some key function can be VERY time consuming not even mentioning the frustatrion.

if you are not comfortable with some or all of this, I am sure you can find a community membrer that does this sort of thing for a living for not a lot of money.

Cheers,

Fred

• Like 3