How to setup Godaddy database to import csv file with a different language such as Simple Chinese

I am using Prestashop 1.4.6.2. I use Godaddy 4GH hosting with Linux and Mysql. I need to import CSV file of categories and products with both English and Chinese character. I tested at local Windows+Apache+Mysql+php and can import csv file of categories with both English and Simple Chinese. I saved all csv files in UTF-8 format. But when I try to import csv file of categories with Chinese character in Godaddy hosting. It doesn't work and displyed "name is empty for default language". I reported the issue to Godaddy and got reply.

"I understand you are experiencing difficulties importing your csv file with Chinese characters. In order to successfully import this list, you will need to change the character set and collation within your database."

I don't know how to change the character set and collation with my database. I asked Godaddy how to change them within my database at Godaddy, they refused to assistant.

"While we can assist with many technical issues that arise, we can not assist with site development or coding. It would be advised to refer to your preferred search engine or scripting forum or website for assistance with developing or modifying the code that you are needing. If you determine that the issue is with our hosting accounts please reply with the information so that we know where to start troubleshooting the issue"

How to do the change within my database at Godaddy hosting? I have few knowledge about MySQL and can create simple database and tables and able to write simple SQL language. I used SQL to check the character set of both my local database and Godaddy hosting database via Phpmyadmin. There is actually different setting. But I don't know where should I start from. Is there someone who experienced the issue? thanks

post-312476-0-64402000-1326810696_thumb.png

post-312476-0-56838700-1326810782_thumb.png

Use PHPMYADMIN to check/change your database collation.

1. find and open phpmyadmin for your website

2. Select your database if not already selected

3. Select Operations, top of the screen

4. you will then see Collation, this should be set to utf8_general_cti (PrestaShop also requires this).

phpmyadmin is pretty easy to use, and is a 'need to know how' for a majority of CMS systems.

hope this helps

Thanks elpatron. I entered PhpMyadmin window via Host Control Center provided by Godaddy website. I found" MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8) " and "MySQL connection collation: utf8_general_ci". Is there any problem? I don't know the difference between UTF-8 Unicode (utf8) and utf8_general_ci. Can I change MySQL charset from UTF-8 Unicode(utf8) to utf8_general_ci via PHPMYADMIN? I am not sure if I asked a correct question.

Further I followed your step and reset the collation as utf8_general_ci again, then click Go. It dosn't work. I have the same result with my website.

post-312476-0-01319400-1326850295_thumb.png

post-312476-0-02459700-1326850323_thumb.png

post-312476-0-25348800-1326850337_thumb.png

Godaddy's reply today:

"I understand that you are concerned about why your CSV file cannot be imported to your database hosted with Go Daddy, but can be imported to your local host. As stated previously, you must change your character set and collation. Your screen shots indicate that has not been done, and unless UTF-8 is employed universally you will not be able to proceed. "

I really don't know how to change my character set and collation and let UTF-8 be employed universally. Where should I start from? Who can help to tell where should be changed via PHPMYADMIN?

I have done according to elpatron's suggestion and made setting of collation via PHPMYADMIN, but the result is the same as before.

Thanks the power of the community,

Thanks elpatron. No matter to import csv file into localhost or into remote godaddy host, before importing, I always convert csv files to UTF-8 format by notepad++. CSV files with or without Chinese character are always converted to UTF-8. Because I noticed the rule in BackOffice of prestashop. I am sure I can import CSV files in English into localhost and remote Godaddy host successfully. I can import CSV file with Chinese character into local host well. The problem is to setup my website database about character set and collation at Godaddy host. I was told by Godaddy it is my database setting that cause the trouble to import csv with Chinese character. "you will need to change the character set and collation within your database" Godaddy said. I am looking for the way how to change.

I can't open your link. When I click the hyperlink, IE tells link down. I tried to produce a bug with tracker on the page of Prestashop BO, I failed. I was asked to register a user ID. When I register user ID I was asked to type the verification code, then I droped in a dead lock to type code again and again. I gave up then. I tried twice to do registration and failed. Thanks elpatron. I have struggled for the issue for 3 days. I hope to get answer before Chinese new year. I guess it is just a simple configuration operation, but I don't know where to operate.

The core of this question is how to setup Prestashop database, so Prestashop can be imported with csv files with other languages beside English.

Thanks elpatron for warm heart.

• 4 years later...

Fred, I am not familiar to use email files function of the forum. I have to use my mailbox of qihuaxie at hotmail dot com to send my csv files. I have done. Thanks for hel

I am using Prestashop 1.4.6.2. I use Godaddy 4GH hosting with Linux and Mysql. I need to import CSV file of categories and products with both English and Chinese character. I tested at local Windows+Apache+Mysql+php and can import csv file of categories with both English and Simple Chinese. I saved all csv files in UTF-8 format. But when I try to import csv file of categories with Chinese character in Godaddy hosting. It doesn't work and displyed "name is empty for default language". I reported the issue to Godaddy and got reply.

"I understand you are experiencing difficulties importing your csv file with Chinese characters. In order to successfully import this list, you will need to change the character set and collation within your database."

I don't know how to change the character set and collation with my database. I asked Godaddy how to change them within my database at Godaddy, they refused to assistant.

"While we can assist with many technical issues that arise, we can not assist with site development or coding. It would be advised to refer to your preferred search engine or scripting forum or website for assistance with developing or modifying the code that you are needing. If you determine that the issue is with our hosting accounts please reply with the information so that we know where to start troubleshooting the issue"

How to do the change within my database at Godaddy hosting? I have few knowledge about MySQL and can create simple database and tables and able to write simple SQL language. I used SQL to check the character set of both my local database and Godaddy hosting database via Phpmyadmin. There is actually different setting. But I don't know where should I start from. Is there someone who experienced the issue? thanks

try saving your csv file on excel with the format:   comma separated values of window