Using EAN 13 as product ID

Hi all! Here's the background:

I'm sharing my products with a physical store. We currently haven't integrated Presta with the store's inventory/point-of-sale-system, but plan this in the future. The physical store use EAN13 as the unique product ID, and therefor I would like to do this in Presta too (expecting easier integration in the future)

Here are my questions:

i) Do anyone know any problems with pointing product ID to the EAN 13 column when importing products?

ii) Can I also point presta's "EAN 13" to import-EAN 13 when importing if I have already used EAN 13 as the product ID?

iii) Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks a lot in advance! BR Peter

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

i think you can google barcode generator and you will find many useful tools, or google how to create barcode to get instructive articles. i usually do the works related to barcode generation. although EAN-13 barcode is not used daily, i cn give you some advices. i am using an imaging sdk to generate barcode , and the EAN-13 barcode is also involved. you can try it to generate EAN-13 barcode ,it' s easy to use.

• 1 year later...
I found that using EAN13 for product ID is not a good idea. It appears to be a limit of 10 (characters) on the product ID field. In my case the shop owner/editor must be able to publish new products one-by-one in Back Office. You can't edit product IDs in Back Office. It is auto generated. Trying to import a 13 digit product ID using CSV import (PS 1.6.0.9) also resulted in lots of "can not be saved"-errors and
Duplicate entry '4294967295' for key 'PRIMARY'

Had to delete the imported product and edit the AUTO_INCREMENT value for the product ID field in phpMyAdmin to make the product import work again.

(Luckily) "Use product reference as key" works for importing products (add/update) in Prestashop 1.6.0.9. Would love to have the posibility to use the EAN13 field as key on CSV import.

• 3 years later...
On 12/21/2011 at 3:18 AM, jhnstcks said:

I did just think of another problem, well its not really a problem.

The product id is included in the product url, so it could make the url look a bit strange.

for readers who still find this an issue, id can be removed from url if this is the problem, see the solution,

https://addons.prestashop.com/en/url-redirects/31273-seo-friendly-urls.html