Upgrading from version 1.1.0.5

Hello,

Yes I know, it is an antique version of prestashop. From what I have read in the guides it seems that I will run into problems upgrading from such an old version, so I decided that I would start with a fresh installation of the latest version and continue to use my current database. I just have some questions before I begin...

Old Urls..

Currently I have a module installed (by Tomer) for redirecting old urls for products and categories that have been modified. If I start with a fresh installation of prestashop, will it still know to redirect the old urls from the previous installation?

Database..

In the new presta I notice there are more input fields for the products, will I have to modify the products in my database for it to work with the new prestashop?

CMS..

Probably a stupid question, but I'm not sure where the CMS content is stored. Are the CMS pages stored in the database and will they be restored when I link to my current database?

Installing a test version..

Can I install the new version in a subdomain of my website e.g.

mysite.com/test

so I can configure it nicely before making it live, and keep the current 1.1.0.5 version running in the meantime?

Thank you!

always take a complete and full backup of your public_html folder and a full backup of your database before you begin.

Once you have that, you can install your website in a subfolder, or even on your own home computer (using wamp or mamp) and perform the upgrade and test it, without disrupting your live site.

If you would like me to perform this service for you, PM me and I can provide you an estimate for this effort.

Thanks for your replies, but I am most concerned about how the new installation will work with my current database. Will my product and category IDs and URLs stay the same after linking the new installation to my current database? Am I right in thinking that the product and category IDs are stored on the database? And the same for the cms page IDs?

It would be a disaster if the urls for the products, categories and cms pages were different because their IDs weren't preserved.

Thanks