Need More Combinations than Prestashop Supports

Hi guys!

I have a jewelry site and have a lot of people who want fully customizable jewelry. This means I need to be able to make items that have several different attribute groups and many different options on each. The total combinations I need on an item are so high, above 10,000. Prestashop just crashes when I try to put this many combinations.

I have looked into this, and found that many other people have this problem. The only fix I've found is a $125 program called Attribute Wizard Pro. Its not in my financial best interest to spend this much on something being just a small jewelry company.

I was wondering if anyone had made a simpler module that is freeware to make more combinations? Or, is there a way I can change some coding myself?

I know its a problem with processing so the idea of changing some code probably isn't going to happen. Nevertheless, any help anyone can give me will be appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks Marty.... I will never have $120 to spend and think that this should be something integrated into the system. It has already been reported as a bug and not addressed. I understand that people need to make money, but to me $120 is too much. Its going to be difficult for me to ever afford any of these modules with so many limitations makingmy site less desirable. If prestashop were more compatible in the first place, people could make more money and afford the modules.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Marty.... I will never have $120 to spend and think that this should be something integrated into the system. It has already been reported as a bug and not addressed. I understand that people need to make money, but to me $120 is too much. Its going to be difficult for me to ever afford any of these modules with so many limitations makingmy site less desirable. If prestashop were more compatible in the first place, people could make more money and afford the modules.

Completely agree with this. I think Prestashop is set up on the wrong foundations. The formula seems to be - "Deliver the Prestashop software and monetise it through people buying additional modules and development". The problem with this formula is that it only works when the base Prestashop software is put out to a high standard AND the community is active enough so that problems can be fixed relatively easily if they are bugs.

What I, and many others on the forums am finding is that people almost seem to hold back on giving help and instead point you in the direction of a *paid* module to fix a problem that was presented as being part of Prestashop in the first place. This lack of community support combined with the Prestashop team seemingly having forgotten how crucial to their success a strong and friendly community is will mean that Prestashop is severely lacking compared to other shop solutions.

All Open Source projects depend and thrive on the back of a lively and collaborative community in forums and mesageboards etc and things around the Prestashop forums seem to have become greedy and cynically focused on the monetising part of the operation (as important as I acknowledge it is) to the severe detriment of other crucial factors in gaining the success of Prestashop.

I've invested time AND money in Prestashop and feel that the problem on the forums with either no answers *at all* for many questions, the LONG time it takes to answer some and the constant pointing in the direction of paid modules to fix inherent problems is constantly undermining the investment I've made. I'm now at the stage where I'm considering other options simply because of the lack of community support of these forums. I *know* that community support elsewhere, while obviously not perfect is massively better than here.

It's all such a shame because I chose Prestashop because I loved the look/feel/design/setup/features it offered over other shop solutions and I just think that the Prestashop team need to protect *their* investment from a long, slow and painful death. The madness is that I'm sure they would be confused if this happened when the core problem of a stagnant community is staring them right in the face. Don't get me wrong, I've seen MANY very helpful and in-depth replies to many posts by the members of the forum and Prestashop staff (i think) and all of it is, i'm sure, appreciated by those they've helped.

Maybe some of us should look into doing a fork and setting up a new, friendly, helpful community, and focus on communication with our users?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Completely agree with this. I think Prestashop is set up on the wrong foundations. The formula seems to be - "Deliver the Prestashop software and monetise it through people buying additional modules and development". The problem with this formula is that it only works when the base Prestashop software is put out to a high standard AND the community is active enough so that problems can be fixed relatively easily if they are bugs.

What I, and many others on the forums am finding is that people almost seem to hold back on giving help and instead point you in the direction of a *paid* module to fix a problem that was presented as being part of Prestashop in the first place. This lack of community support combined with the Prestashop team seemingly having forgotten how crucial to their success a strong and friendly community is will mean that Prestashop is severely lacking compared to other shop solutions.

All Open Source projects depend and thrive on the back of a lively and collaborative community in forums and mesageboards etc and things around the Prestashop forums seem to have become greedy and cynically focused on the monetising part of the operation (as important as I acknowledge it is) to the severe detriment of other crucial factors in gaining the success of Prestashop.

I've invested time AND money in Prestashop and feel that the problem on the forums with either no answers *at all* for many questions, the LONG time it takes to answer some and the constant pointing in the direction of paid modules to fix inherent problems is constantly undermining the investment I've made. I'm now at the stage where I'm considering other options simply because of the lack of community support of these forums. I *know* that community support elsewhere, while obviously not perfect is massively better than here.

It's all such a shame because I chose Prestashop because I loved the look/feel/design/setup/features it offered over other shop solutions and I just think that the Prestashop team need to protect *their* investment from a long, slow and painful death. The madness is that I'm sure they would be confused if this happened when the core problem of a stagnant community is staring them right in the face. Don't get me wrong, I've seen MANY very helpful and in-depth replies to many posts by the members of the forum and Prestashop staff (i think) and all of it is, i'm sure, appreciated by those they've helped.

Maybe some of us should look into doing a fork and setting up a new, friendly, helpful community, and focus on communication with our users?

Agree with your comments, I am transferring my site to PS and quickly learning that there is nothing free or open source about PS, perhaps when it's all said and done it will cost same as or more then paid solutions that are out there, plus you basically have to beg to get a response from some/most of the module Authors with exception of few (such as: http://catalogo-onlinersi.com.ar/en/ ) that will not let you go until you are satisfied.

It's been two months now I am also looking for an attribute solution for Jewelery site...Still looking. .

• Like 1

Just my point of view on this, and this I think has gotten maybe a little off topic from Psysub's original question/topic. I came from PinnacleCart which I had to pay for, and had to pay for support and all my questions were fell on deaf ears time and time again. It however made me better and searching and testing out development code myself. I have a background in programming by the seat of my pants with my eyes closed typing like a monkey on a foreign keyboard.

Prestashop's forums have helped me extensively in finding answers to my questions. I have posted questions to get no responses as well, but that doesn't stop me because I just google it with different combinations of words and I do find the answer 85% of the time and 70%+ is on here. More help would be nice if some know the answer, but I am coming from a system I had to pay for all around and got crap and it became a waste of money and time so I am thankful for this platform and the community as a whole. All systems open source or otherwise can be improved on.

As for the question of this topic, I don't at all have as many attribute and custom combinations but I will be adding a lot more than I already have in the coming months. If I run into problems I will try to diagnose what I find to help you out, it seems like maybe it is a timing out issue with the amount? It may depend on where and when it is happening and what errors you are getting.

Maybe your web host provider can help you by looking at the logs to see if there are any errors they see on their end? Maybe the max_executiontime and/or memory_limit can be increased and see if one or both of those effects things.

If you could maybe explain when or what you are doing when these crashes occur maybe I or someone else can assist. Is this on the backend, frontend, both? Does this happen after you have added a given amount and try to add another or what, would love to see if we can help you :)

I am not against buying modules, but if and when I can get around a hurdle without paying I will do so! So I understand where you are coming from, I was tasked with the development with no budget and whenever I have ran into things that I need help with I usually get a no to spending money until I have a system that produces enough to offset the cost of paying for assistance or modules.