Do I need to update my theme

Good evening

When I first setup my store it was with version 1.4.0.17. I did a copy of the prestashop theme and renamed the copy and customised it.

I have been following upgrades and tonight managed to upgrade to the latest version.

Question

I would imagine the files in the prestashop theme have been updated and presumably have better SEO handling for instance. To take advantage of a proper upgrade (my theme would not be included in an upgrade presumably) is there a way of upgrading my customised theme to ensure I am running with all the latest code in all the files?

Or

do I have to manually copy the latest prestashop theme and literally redo it over from scratch?

Not quite sure what is best here.

Can anyone enlighten me please.

many thanks

Chelle

I think you can upgrade with the old theme files, but you may want to upgrade the theme anyway to take advantage of some of the enhancements and fixes.

I use a modified Prestashop theme in my shop. I use WinMerge to compare the source files from the old unmodified Prestashop theme files and the new Prestashop theme files to look for changes. I have a list of files that I have modified and look for any files in that list that have been changed. This is made easier because I keep just the files I've modified in a local directory that has the same structure as Prestashop.

Create a new directory under themes with a name such as prestashop-mod1451 and upload the modified theme there. That way you can activate it and test against the theme you currently use.

I upgraded without any problems or so I thought. A customer told me my site wasn't loading in IE 7 or 8 and sure enough it isn't. I use a theme from Prestashopic. BTW it's loads perfectly in FF, Safari, Opera and Chrome. Just IE 7 & 8 which accounts for 75% of my visitors!

I tried the prsetashop alt theme and that didn't work either. I've rolled back to the default theme in grey and it works in IE. This is a real disappointment.

Hi christmascrackers,

Did you try the suggestion posted above by Rhapsody? Additionally, you can also try contacting the developers at Prestashopic directly for assistance.

-Mike

Thanks Mike. I got it sorted in the end. I actually bought another theme thinking that might solve the problem but it didn't. I had turned on CCC for CSS in the performance section of preferences and this caused my themes to stop loading correcty in IE7, 8 and 9.