Determine if product exists already

MrBaseball34

Got this code in an import script. I'm trying to "Prestashopize" this script by using only Prestashop classes to perform the operations.

// this is how the lookup_product function is called to determine if the product exists already
if (strlen($unique_key) > 0) {
 $productID = lookup_product($db, $unique_key);
} else {
 $productID = 0;
} // if (strlen($title) > 0)

// Returns 0 if product name does not exist; returns product ID if product name exists
// $db is a persistent Database class being passed into the function
// query, numRows, and getResult are functions of the Database class
// $prefix is store in config.php
function lookup_product($db, $unique_key){
 require('config.php');

$id = 0;
 $sql = "SELECT p.id_product as id FROM " . $prefix . "product p ".
	 "INNER JOIN " . $prefix . "feature_product pfp ON pfp.id_product = p.id_product ".
	 "INNER JOIN " . $prefix . "feature_value_lang pfvl ON pfvl.id_feature_value = pfp.id_feature_value ".
	 "WHERE pfvl.id_lang = " . $defaultLanguageID .
	 " AND pfvl.value = '".$unique_key."' ".
	 "LIMIT 1";
 $result = $db->query($sql) or die('error, lookup_product query failed'.$sql."<br>".mysql_error());
 $num = $db->numRows($result);
 if($num > 0){
$id = $db->getResult($result,0,"id");
 }
 unset($result);
 unset($sql);
 unset($num);
 return $id;
}

Essentially I'm looking for the product based on the unique key passed in. This value is also stored in the reference column as well as in ps_feature_value_lang.

So, I'm thinking of using the Product::getByReference() function. This is really only used to tell if the product already has been imported. Could I use this code, instead?

if (strlen($unique_key) > 0) {
 $product = new Product;
 $product->getByReference($unique_key);
 $productID = $product->id_product;  
} // if (strlen($title) > 0)

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I have the exact same issue : I develop an product import module with something like :

$product = ProductCore::getByReference($ref);
if ($product){
  // update existing product
}else{
  // Insert new product
}

This works great, except when I try to execute this about 30K times in a loop. The program exits with a "Fatal error : Allowed memory size..."

The problem might be that this method uses DB::Instance->getRow("...") with cache enabled, but I'd like to avoid hacking PS... Besides ProductCore::getByReference() is marked as deprecated, but I couldn't find any replacement method.

I think I'll try to replace it with something like $product = new ProductCore(DB::Instance->getValue("...")) but this seems less "Prestashopized" to me. I don't understand why this method wasn't simply optimized instead of being deprecated... Or would it be another solution ?

Thank you.

Edit : The memory issue can be avoided by flushing cache periodically with Cache::getInstance()->flush(); but I suppose it's better not to use cache at all in my case, or maybe if you need to query for a product many times, like when importing images, you have to check the (same) product for each image.

Edited by ircf (see edit history)