Help needed.Zero sales since 2 months

indus

Hi indus,

I took a look, and I don't see anything especially wrong with the layout or design of the site. You may want to use a slider on the homepage that automatically scrolls through the images rather than forcing users to click through it manually, but other than that, the biggest suggestion I can make (not knowing much about your exchange rate, of course) is that you consider lowering your prices.

When you're competing against larger and more well-known companies to sell these products, the best way to make sales and build a reputation for yourself is to be less expensive than the competition. If you can win the price war and provide good fulfillment and customer service, word of mouth alone should bring you an increase in sales.

-Mike

I just read your about us page. It scares me to shop with you because you didn't even bother running it through a spell checker where all the punctuations, no spaces after periods or commas look like crap.

If you continue writing your descriptions the same way your wrote the title / text of this post, you should not be selling anything on the internet. Spaces after periods and commas, please. Proper capitalization, please.

These are easy fixes.

Hi indus,

I took a look, and I don't see anything especially wrong with the layout or design of the site. You may want to use a slider on the homepage that automatically scrolls through the images rather than forcing users to click through it manually, but other than that, the biggest suggestion I can make (not knowing much about your exchange rate, of course) is that you consider lowering your prices.

When you're competing against larger and more well-known companies to sell these products, the best way to make sales and build a reputation for yourself is to be less expensive than the competition. If you can win the price war and provide good fulfillment and customer service, word of mouth alone should bring you an increase in sales.

-Mike

Thanks Mike,I appreciate your feedback.

I just read your about us page. It scares me to shop with you because you didn't even bother running it through a spell checker where all the punctuations, no spaces after periods or commas look like crap.

If you continue writing your descriptions the same way your wrote the title / text of this post, you should not be selling anything on the internet. Spaces after periods and commas, please. Proper capitalization, please.

These are easy fixes.

Thanks for the critical review.Iam working on the grammar and punctuation.I was not happy about the page myself.

I will clean up the text across the site.That is something i wanted to finish as my last tasks remaining for the site.Thanks again.

indus

Hi indus,

I did a quick check of your website.

There seem to be browser-specific style issues on your homepage regarding your phone icon&number in the header.

In Firefox 3.6, these are overlapping the 'Your Account' icon and text. In IE8 and Chrome 12, these are placed on top of your 'Free shipping' icon.

While these are just cosmetic errors, they may deter potential customers.

Hi indus,

I did a quick check of your website.

There seem to be browser-specific style issues on your homepage regarding your phone icon&number in the header.

In Firefox 3.6, these are overlapping the 'Your Account' icon and text. In IE8 and Chrome 12, these are placed on top of your 'Free shipping' icon.

While these are just cosmetic errors, they may deter potential customers.

Oh..

My CSS knowledge is poor, i added those 2 elements today with some really dirty code and i was expecting some problem.Thanks a lot for pointing this out.

I just now checked with IE9 and chrome 13.xxx and it looks ok.Maybe someone will help me with my CSS.

I placed the html in the header.tpl file and added css to global.css.But iam sure it is not correct.

I have attached header.tpl and global.css files.

On a happy note, this is my 100th post on the forums :)

header.zip

global.zip

Oh..

My CSS knowledge is poor, i added those 2 elements today with some really dirty code and i was expecting some problem.Thanks a lot for pointing this out.

I just now checked with IE9 and chrome 13.xxx and it looks ok.Maybe someone will help me with my CSS.

I placed the html in the header.tpl file and added css to global.css.But iam sure it is not correct.

I had another look at your website and found out the cause of your styling problem: the phone icon/number has a fixed position...

To see this for yourself, increase and decrease the width of your browser window. You'll see that everything is moving accordingly, except for the phone icon/number.

So I suspect that you have used 'position: absolute' in your css for these items.

Ps. Congrats on your 100th post!

Oh..

So I suspect that you have used 'position: absolute' in your css for these items.

Ps. Congrats on your 100th post!

It is indeed true.I have used that property for that phone icon because i could not get it to align properly.I attached my files in previous post.Maybe you can help me?

Thanks

indus

It is indeed true.I have used that property for that phone icon because i could not get it to align properly.I attached my files in previous post.Maybe you can help me?

I had a look at the attached files. First, the call to the 'header_ship' ID that you've added in your header.tpl is not present in your global.css. This doesn't matter though and you could just remove this ID.

Try this:

Modify in your global.css:

- delete 'position:absolute;left:700px;' code in your img.call segment.

- change 200px into 50px for margin-left and add margin-right:10px (or whatever value you'd prefer) in your img.ship segment.

This is a quick fix so you should test this yourself.

Best,

Andreas

I had a look at the attached files. First, the call to the 'header_ship' ID that you've added in your header.tpl is not present in your global.css. This doesn't matter though and you could just remove this ID.

Try this:

Modify in your global.css:

- delete 'position:absolute;left:700px;' code in your img.call segment.

- change 200px into 50px for margin-left and add margin-right:10px (or whatever value you'd prefer) in your img.ship segment.

This is a quick fix so you should test this yourself.

Best,

Andreas

Hi Andreas

I tried your fix but the phone icon sits on the right overlapping the user info box.Right now i removed the absolute property and added a negative value for margin left -330px.Will negative margin cause any problems?

indus

I tried your fix but the phone icon sits on the right overlapping the user info box.Right now i removed the absolute property and added a negative value for margin left -330px.Will negative margin cause any problems?

Are you sure that you also removed the 'left:700px'? And did you decrease the margin-left:200px of the img.ship element?

I tested it (with Firebug) on your website and have no more overlapping items with the proposed modifications.

I also have used negative margins in some cases but it's probably best to limit its use to the minimum. Just make sure to test your changes in different browsers.

Cheers,

Andreas

Are you sure that you also removed the 'left:700px'? And did you decrease the margin-left:200px of the img.ship element?

I tested it (with Firebug) on your website and have no more overlapping items with the proposed modifications.

I also have used negative margins in some cases but it's probably best to limit its use to the minimum. Just make sure to test your changes in different browsers.

Cheers,

Andreas

Hi

Thanks ,i will try again tomorrow.But atleast i removed the absolute property.It looks ok with the negative margin.I have to learn more CSS so i want to try your fix also.

bye

Thanks ,i will try again tomorrow.But atleast i removed the absolute property.It looks ok with the negative margin.I have to learn more CSS so i want to try your fix also.

bye

You header looks fine now in the different browsers I tested.

So perhaps best to leave it like it is and focus on other things to help your conversion rate.

For instance, I don't see any stock info or estimated delivery times on your product pages. I think this info is important, in particular for computer hardware webshops.

Other than that, your webshop design looks good to me.

bye

You header looks fine now in the different browsers I tested.

So perhaps best to leave it like it is and focus on other things to help your conversion rate.

For instance, I don't see any stock info or estimated delivery times on your product pages. I think this info is important, in particular for computer hardware webshops.

Other than that, your webshop design looks good to me.

Thanks.I will add these suggestions.I think there is a module for shipping time.I will try that.

Thanks.I will add these suggestions.I think there is a module for shipping time.I will try that.

It's my pleasure helping out other (starting) shop owners.

I've encountered an issue with the 'Estimated shipping time' module, so I'm not using it. But what I meant was adding descriptive text for availability on the product pages when a product is in-stock or out-of stock.

When a product is in-stock, it could say something like 'Availability: ready for delivery'. Or when a product is out-of-stock, it could say something like 'Availability: 2-5 working days'.

You should be able to add this info in your BO for every product. In fact, this is native functionality for PS 1.4.x (and perhaps older but that I don't know). So are you using an older version of Prestashop or did you remove this functionality?

It's my pleasure helping out other (starting) shop owners.

I've encountered an issue with the 'Estimated shipping time' module, so I'm not using it. But what I meant was adding descriptive text for availability on the product pages when a product is in-stock or out-of stock.

When a product is in-stock, it could say something like 'Availability: ready for delivery'. Or when a product is out-of-stock, it could say something like 'Availability: 2-5 working days'.

You should be able to add this info in your BO for every product. In fact, this is native functionality for PS 1.4.x (and perhaps older but that I don't know). So are you using an older version of Prestashop or did you remove this functionality?

I have disabled stock management.Its assumed that product is in stock.When i have more sales i will enable it again.Now i have only listed products which are in stock.So customers wont have an issue after they place an order.Iam using 1.4.4.

I have disabled stock management.Its assumed that product is in stock.When i have more sales i will enable it again.Now i have only listed products which are in stock.So customers wont have an issue after they place an order.Iam using 1.4.4.

Ok, I see your point.

Still, it may stimulate your sales when there's a clear indication on your product pages that the product is in stock and will be shipped quickly.

Good luck with your shop!