product list ordering causes SEO problem!

fitgura

Hi All!

We have a really bad problem about the product listing in PS 1.4.1

In the google webmaster tools I see that the website crawl has a huge problem:

there is a duplicated domain name in the crawled site, and you can see on the pictures, it happens if the product list ordering is changed to quuantiy, price etc....

I think this cause that the google get our page rank pount from us few weeks ago...

Please help me find the root of this problem!!!

It is really important now!!

thank you

49455_LKgytywIO71iCbEelZSh_t

You should try Tomer's Duplicate URL Redirect module... I'm not 100% sure but it seems like this might be a fix to these duplicate urls. Plus his customer service is top shelf... if you want to be absolutely sure, you should contact him prior to purchasing.

Go to: http://www.presto-changeo.com/en/prestashop-modules/25-duplicate-url-redirect.html

PS. We use this module as well as others from him... fyi.

HTH!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for advise Caleydon! I'm hungarian, so I wrote a letter for them, about they great plugins...I hope they will answer soon

I think you can change it in the google webmaster tool. Try have a look under website configuration, website parameters. There you'll see a list of parameters, e.g. orderby, orderway, id_category etc. I've just disabled all of them.

EDIT:

Also please see this thread: http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/74380-fix-duplicate-product-listing-urls-with-extra-variables-important/

Have you looked at the settings in Google's Webmaster Tools? Most of these perceived SEO "problems" are purely red herrings. Look at Site Configuration->URL Parameters. Google are not as naive as most people seem to think and their crawling/indexing can sort out situations like this itself quite well -- in some cases actions people take to "improve" their rankings can result in the opposite.

I would strongly suggest that this isn't the cause of any issues you are experiencing. You mention a decrease in page rank, but have you also seen a decline in organic traffic?

I do know that the last Page rank round did have quite significant impacts on certain sites. Usually a drop is due to the devaluing of certain types of links - there haven't been many of these recently as the quality team were working on a specific traffic hijacking issue that they felt was a priority in cleaning up their search results.

Paul