Question about attributes

Hello all. I'm trying to set up my attributes so that each product has its own attribute that doesn't necessarily show up all the time. For example, I sell ski resort maps that go on several different products. Each product page is for one map, with several different items, for instance: shot glasses, mugs, tankards, etc. to place them on. So the first drop down attribute is the type of product to place the map on as I just mentioned before. The second attribute is size, and the third attribute is color. However, my shot glasses only need the color attribute and my mugs only need the size attribute. However, once you create any attribute it always appears on the page. So for example, the size attribute is on the page when I select a shot glass even though this product has nothing to do with size. So, it's not possible to select a shot glass and a color without also selecting a size. And because the size has not been added as an attribute to the shot glass, shot glasses can't be added to the cart at all! I guess what I want, is for the attribute menus to disappear when it has no options when a product is selected. So for example, if I choose a shot glass as my first attribute, I want the size attribute that is important for other products to disappear and only leave the color attribute. This would clearly let the customer know that the size attribute has nothing to do with this particular item. This makes more sense than displaying the message: "The product does not exist in this model. Please choose another." This is because if someone has several attributes and options only exist in pairs, there could be many combinations of products that doesn't exist, and that will become frustrating and confusing to the customer. Does this make sense? I thought the option in back office->Preferences -> Products -> Display unavailable product attributes on product page (yes or no) had something to do with this. However, it does not matter if I toggle it on or off, it seems to make no difference. What is this even for? So, any ideas on how I can set up my store like this? Thank you.

As far as I am aware Rory what you want is not possible at the moment, unless someone can come up with some custom coding.

On a different note, when your posting Rory could break your message up into paragraphs as it is quite difficult to read it at 7am after a full nights work.

Cheers