Server timeout when using 1-click upgrade

I have never been able to use the 1-click upgrade module. Even on previous versions of Prestashop and with other service providers it always returns a 500 server timeout error. After that I can't access anything on my site without shutting down my browser and re-starting. Anyone know why this happens and how I can fix it? I really need to update my site, especially as I'm now getting numerous fraudulent customer registrations from the Russian Federation and occupied Ukraine and I believe the latest version of PS has fixes for this.

I'm using PS version 1.7.4.3 and the latest version of the 1-click module.

Thanks.

As JBW mentioned, skipping the backup and doing a manual backup instead is by far the best solution to speed up the process. This is the more so as it is not always possible to restore the automatic backup.

However, don't expect that this will solve your spammer problem. To solve that you need to install a captcha module. There are several free ones available. For example: https://github.com/nenes25/eicaptcha

Many thanks for the responses. I have put in a ticket to my hosting company to increase the server time out length, hopefully this will solve the problem. I don't have the option of using 1-click with or without a manual back up; it times out when I try to configure the module too.

I already have a captcha installed in my contact page, I guess I will also have to install one in the customer registration page as you suggest. From what I've read elsewhere on this forum from people who are getting the same bogus customer registrations, there is a limited fix in the newer versions of PS in that it will not allow website suffixes (.com., .ru, etc.) to be input in the customer name fields. So not a comprehensive fix by any means, but definitely a step in the right direction.