unindexing of indexed items

yaKay

Hi community,

I wonder if there's a way to unindex items with certain conditions:

exactly: if an item has 0 quantity, I'd like to unindex it (so it won't be found from search result) instead than hide or cancel it from the ecommerce.

I had found only solutions for indexing items but (maybe because not so logic) for unindexing! 

best regards and wish to get back some good news!

... I don't remember to had forced someone or insisted on getting an answer! 

if so, kindly, show me that! 

By the way, since I thought can be good idea not losing indexing of some items on  search engines and (at the same time) not wasting time of customers looking for items not available in the store, to "hide" from the research in the  prestashop ecommerce, products at 0 quantity! 

I google for a solution but I didn't find anything and, since the purpose of this forum is sharing ideas, reporting bugs, and asking for help, I posted here! 

need more details about?

tks in advance 

I think it's a good idea. From a programmer's point of view, this is a very simple matter. However, this can be solved with a module and connect to the productUpdate hook.
If the product has attributes, combinations, it would be hidden if all combinations have zero stock.
I can see it for a max of 30 minutes of work. When I'm at my computer I'll create something and send it via private message 😉

Hi @yaKay

Why are you jumping soo high ? Nobody said anything negative, however @Nickz has a great point - Don't see why would that become handy! 

1. Prestashop already offers an option called - visibility nowhere - of course this won't solve the issue if a customer lands to the unwanted page directly from Google, however don't forget you have the option to hide the "add to cart " option, which could create confusion in the customer, but once he's on your page the game is on! you have related products etc, and it is a higher chance to get him buy something else. the key is to get the customer to the store ,a nd you would like to kill that option. 

2. In case the product is decommissioned- you can always ask Google using google Search console to remove a certain page from index (still not sure if that is a great option, especially if that page generates traffic). 

3. As @knacky mentioned it's  a quick module option, and by using the Search Console API, it could be made automatically, however again I personally would consider it twice before I would conduct such action. 

Chill mate, everybody has the right to an opinion, but in your case if the opinion is not shared with yours you act like a mad dog ;) . Start accepting other opinions as well, and we can talk about help and sharing. you forgot that nobody is paid here to help you ;) That said thank @Nickz and @knacky for taking the time to answer to this question, when you could have done something for a client and get paid ;) 

Cheers and take a    ..ng deep breath sometimes. 

Leo

• Like 1

Hi to all,

1st of all thank u @knacky and @Prestachamps for replies!

Did I jump so high? uhm... I totally lost the "great idea" of @Nickz: "I really wonder why people go those assumptions that it would help them in any possible way".

Can this answer help the object of the topic? 

ok @knacky, thanks for your time !

@Prestachamps
1) yes I know that customer will continue landing to the unwanted page directly from Google but, at least, I won't lose the indexing of the page (in case the product will be available in the future);

2) I agree with you: absolutely is not a great idea asking google to hide certain pages, that's why I'd like to hide the product from the prestashop search only;

3) I have no experience on building modules, when I start this topic I thought that a script could be the solution, associated with a cron job for repeating the action costantly!

I like the "chill mate" :)and I agree with you when you say that "everybody has the right to an opinion" but still... I didn't catch the opinion of @Nickz!
"Start accepting other opinions as well, and we can talk about help and sharing" I also agree about it, that's why I opened the topic and it matches with my reply to @Nickz.

However, polemics are usually away from me; my intent was to ask something to the community and share usefull point of views.!

Best regards you all

The Visibility field of the ps_product_shop table has four options: none, search, catalog and both. "Both" is the default. As I understand you want the products with quantity zero changed to "search". That way the product is still visible for the search engines but not for the search in your shop (that is controlled by "catalog").

• Like 1

Hi @musicmaster

thanks for replying: Exactly, I'd like to keep the items visible in the store but not "indexed" in the search bar.

I checked the ps_product_shop and visibility is set as "both" for all the items, I didn't know the 4 options available for that field!

Since Wed I'm using a module cooked by @knacky and it works very well; of course I'll keep your tips too in case!

Thank you for the time.

I

On 7/4/2022 at 5:31 PM, yaKay said:

if so, kindly, show me that! 

By the way, since I thought can be good idea not losing indexing of some items on  search engines and (at the same time) not wasting time of customers looking for items not available in the store, to "hide" from the research in the  prestashop ecommerce, products at 0 quantity! 

look nowadays shops are quiete crowded and aim for SERP 1, so you need a shop with products and even a product which is unavailble is a product worth having in the index. Contrary to empty pages like you get when Yoast indexes Tag pages etc.. 

Under this explanation you'll find my first comment a little more friendly I guess. You can do as you wish but you should be aware of the consequences. I have clients which love the extreme solution, delete. Why did my shop drop in the SERP? Well if you have a shop with 60 Pages and you delete 20 something will happen, and that something is not as easy to undo, due to competition which do not delete but add.

Edited by Nickz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nickz said:

look nowadays shops are quiete crowded and aim for SERP 1, so you need a shop with products and even a product which is unavailble is a product worth having in the index. Contrary to empty pages like you get when Yoast indexes Tag pages etc.. 

Under this explanation you'll find my first comment a little more friendly I guess. You can do as you wish but you should be aware of the consequences. I have clients which love the extreme solution, delete. Why did my shop drop in the SERP? Well if you have a shop with 60 Pages and you delete 20 something will happen, and that something is not as easy to undo, due to competition which do not delete but add.

Hi @Nickz

thanks for clarification: now your 1st comment sounds more friendly and I apologize for d repy above!

I'm using the solution offered by Knacky and, opposite from some of your clients, I don't love the extreme solution neither!

I don't want to delete the products with 0 quantity from my store because most of them have 0 quantity temporary but, at the same time (since I have uploaded more than 7k of products and 1,5k are randomly at 0 quantity), I prefer to hide these products from customer research because a single customer can catch several products at 0 quantity and, I think, it can be bothering and move the customer to leave the ecommerce.

Of course, I'm always open for further suggestions and available for sharing ideas!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...