How to handle deleted products links?

uvip

Hi friends,

I want to know how will you handle deleted products links? Usually I know you will do 301 redirect, however if I have a large number of deleted products links, what should I do? Shall I redirect all links to home page? Will it harm seo? Any advices will be appreciated, thanks

4 hours ago, uvip said:

Hi friends,

I want to know how will you handle deleted products links? Usually I know you will do 301 redirect, however if I have a large number of deleted products links, what should I do? Shall I redirect all links to home page? Will it harm seo? Any advices will be appreciated, thanks

If you want to keep it, redirect to homepage. Better, than 404.

On 2/7/2022 at 8:12 PM, ComGrafPL said:

If you want to keep it, redirect to homepage. Better, than 404.

Hi friend, if you redict large number of pages let's say over 5000 pages to home page, will it cause any issues to SEO? Anyone who knows the answer, please feel free to share, thanks

On 2/10/2022 at 11:09 PM, Nickz said:

It surely does.

Then what will be the best solution for deleted products? If I leave them as 404, google webmaster tool will report 404 errors as well? So how should I handle them?

On 2/17/2022 at 5:37 AM, uvip said:

Ok, but what about google alert of mass 404 pages? 

If product page stays visible there will be no 404.
Just set products visibility to nowhere, and reactivate them.
It will show visitors coming from SERPs that product is unavailable, but it won't be searchable and visible in the shop directly.

Hello,

What you need to do in this case is exactly the 301 redirect. You can also disable products instead of deleting them, thus eliminating potential problems and errors in retroactive orders and statistics.

The pages you have directed with 301 will be deleted from google within 3-6 months. You should turn off the 301 redirect for products that are not in Google ranking so that Google can understand that it is not such a resource :)

Kind regards.

If there are (significant) external links to a product, then you might want to preserve those via a 301 redirect from a deleted product url to a similar product that you do now stock, or at least to a category page that's relevant. Redirecting to your home page would be a last resort in my opinion. If the product had no external links and you no longer sell it then a 410 (Gone) would be the best option.

Just my opinion, of course. If you're unsure and are worried about causing damage to your store's SEO then you should consult a professional.