Can I connect a 1.7.5 database directly to a clean install of 1.7.7.5 ?

In 2019 I helped a store owner "upgrade" from PS 1.0 to 1.7.5. This involved doing a clean installation of 1.7.5 in a subdomain, converting product, category, etc. tables to .csv and importing into the clean database, then overwriting the main domain with the subdomain files. Of course this involved a lot of work setting up the clean install - the static content, pages, icons, etc., etc., ... I would like to avoid doing all that setup and data importing again, if possible.

Now my task is to upgrade the store to 1.7.7.5  ... I tried to upgrade in place by carefully following directions after carefully backing up, with dismal results. (No storefront, no admin panel, various error messages). So upgrade-in-place is not an option. Another clean install in another subdomain, is going very well. But I would like to avoid a lot of extra work (as described above).

I would like to just bring the entire database along from the working installation of 1.7.5. Is there a way I can use the admin panel in the new clean install, to tell PrestaShop "Stop using database B, start using database A." ?? Or, can I just update app/config/parameters.php with the new database, user, etc. information? What will happen?

Thank you!

54 minutes ago, odovobo said:

In 2019 I helped a store owner "upgrade" from PS 1.0 to 1.7.5. This involved doing a clean installation of 1.7.5 in a subdomain, converting product, category, etc. tables to .csv and importing into the clean database, then overwriting the main domain with the subdomain files. Of course this involved a lot of work setting up the clean install - the static content, pages, icons, etc., etc., ... I would like to avoid doing all that setup and data importing again, if possible.

Now my task is to upgrade the store to 1.7.7.5  ... I tried to upgrade in place by carefully following directions after carefully backing up, with dismal results. (No storefront, no admin panel, various error messages). So upgrade-in-place is not an option. Another clean install in another subdomain, is going very well. But I would like to avoid a lot of extra work (as described above).

I would like to just bring the entire database along from the working installation of 1.7.5. Is there a way I can use the admin panel in the new clean install, to tell PrestaShop "Stop using database B, start using database A." ?? Or, can I just update app/config/parameters.php with the new database, user, etc. information? What will happen?

Thank you!

Probably you already read that. But this is the best way to do it yourself. Great guide.

https://www.prestashop.com/en/blog/how-to-migrate-prestashop-to-a-new-server

2 minutes ago, odovobo said:

Hi @musicmaster Thank you.
I wonder if you have thoughts on this topic also?

When you use Copy_shopdata this question is irrelevant as replaces that data.

Otherwise I never understood why people are so eager to remove the demo data. The orders are cancelled and you can easily delete the few demo products. As far as I know the Database Cleaner still works (don't use it on multishop). But the eagerness to delete demo data sometimes drives people so far that they delete essential things.

13 minutes ago, musicmaster said:

When you use Copy_shopdata this question is irrelevant as replaces that data.

Otherwise I never understood why people are so eager to remove the demo data. The orders are cancelled and you can easily delete the few demo products. As far as I know the Database Cleaner still works (don't use it on multishop). But the eagerness to delete demo data sometimes drives people so far that they delete essential things.

Well that is all very interesting. Apparently this can solve both my issues, and it's been maintained within the past month. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Hello @musicmaster,

I've been successful (so far) in using Copy_shopdata. Also, reading through the documentation has given me a much better understanding of what I'm doing with this project. Much appreciation!

I have done the configuration on the new installation of PrestaShop 1.7.7 (after upgrading it from 1.7.5, the source version). Now I am preparing to use Copy_shopdata a second time in order to capture the database activity that's occurred on the older/defective "live" site since June. I will refer to the documentation before doing this, and of course I will back up the target system also.

Hoping you can clear up one idea for me first, if you don't mind? Just prior to my first use of Copy_shopdata, the target system was a fresh install, with no business data present. There was nothing there to "lose" in the transfer, because nothing was present. After the transfer, the target system contained all the business data up to some date in June.

Now, before using Copy_shopdata again, the target system is populated with business data and configuration data, but I don't have to worry about "losing" anything, since now Copy_shopdata will again just copy all the business data from the source, onto the target database, overwriting just the business data. That process should not disturb any of the configuration I've done since June on the target system, correct?

Am I thinking about this in the right way?

Thank you

Yes, you are thinking the right way.

The advice is to make a backup of the database anyway. I have seen before how people destroyed shops because they didn't understand everything completely.

The config file contains a flag "$do_initialization". As long as it 0 or 1 it should work as you want. When it is 2 it will once again copy settings from the old shop.

Another issue to mind is carriers. If you have set things up differently in the new shop you should make sure that the carrier tables aren't overwritten.