What is the proper size of uploaded images?

pmates

I have a question on what is the correct size of images to upload to the store, especially in relation to "Generate high resolution images" option. I read many posts about image sizes, but no one specifically mention this one. So, when uploading images, ideally the should be of size as it is defined in Design -> Image settings. If not precisely that dimension, at least the aspect ratio should be the same. PrestaShop will then anyway create several versions of the image for thumbnails etc. If "Generate high resolution images" is enabled, PrestaShop will generate one more set of images with double the resolution for retina displays. So if the image size defined in Image settings for product_default is 466x620px, should I upload images of size 466x620px or 932x1240px? I do understand that PrestaShop will handle almost any image with any size, but we are talking here about image sizes so that we achieve the best photo sharpness and no size distortion.

Thanks in advance, for any experience on this.

Edited by pmates (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

In PrestaShop, there is an option of image settings with that you can enable image size for specific types of content, directly in the image sizes list.

By default, users can upload image with a maximum height and width of 64 pixels.

For the reference-> http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS17/Image+Settings#:~:text=By%20default%2C%20customers%20can%20upload,maximum%20height%20of%2064%20pixels.

• 1 year later...

Hi, it's important and generally overlooked at PS recommendation for images, here is excerpt form image setting screen and recommendations in PS admin.

If you want to make sure your image is correctly resized, you should upload an image that fits the size ratio of the various image sizes. If your uploaded image does not have the same width-to-height ratio than the settings in place, you are taking the risk to see whitespace on the resized image.

image.thumb.png.66cc43c3e53f2b31ad0b5c90cad1055b.png