Prestashop LCM Recommendation

Sundararajan

Hello,

I am new to prestashop.  I am planning to move my ecommerce to Prestashop platform.  I would require advice on following.

1.  Currently, I have installed Prestashop 1.7.7.1

2. How frequently I have to update Prestashop version.  Do I have to update every release?

3.  If I buy modules, themes from addons, I would get a support of 3 months, maximum 12 months.

4.  After 3 or 12 months, if i upgrade Prestashop version, do i also have to update all the modules?  If yes, do i have to purchase same module again? 

5.  What is the best practice to be followed for Prestashop upgrade?

Thank you.

Regards,

Sundar

2. You don't have although if any of the bug fixes or security improvements are necessary. you're advised to. In any case you should have a test site (live clone) where you test the upgrade first and if all OK do the same for live.

4. These third party addons are governed by each of their developers sale rules, you probably will have to buy them again whenever you need the new module's features or fixes. Other than that you can keep them as they are for any number of PS upgrades as long as the'll be compatible with those versions.

5. You should try and use the 1-click free upgrade module but still follow advice at #1.

To elaborate on Robhur's points:

- Prestashop upgrades quite regularly fail. For that reason it is recommended only to upgrade when you have a good reason like a bug that has been fixed in a new version.

- Best practice for upgrades: make a good backup before you upgrade and don't rely on the backup that Prestashop makes during the upgrade.

Note that module upgrades are usually ok.

- In principle minor upgrades (1.7.7.x) shouldn't cause problems for modules and themes. In most cases things will be ok. However, you can never be sure. For that reason it is recommended to keep a copy of your webshop for testing and experimenting purposes. The easiest is to have it on your pc.

• Like 1