Translations from theme not showing up

Roman Norman

After upgrade from 1.7.6.9 to 1.7.7.1 all theme translations on front are missing and defaults are shown instead. However when I search for missing strings in the backoffice, I see all of them are translated properly. I even went ahead and exported translations back to theme's translations folder according to documentation, reset all the caches and so on, and so forth, but no dice. What am I missing?

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are talking about. How is this connected to mails? I don't have mails folder in my themes folder.

My issue is that after upgrade several strings not provided by Classic theme stopped showing up translated on the front, even though they have visible translations in the backoffice. Following this guide I was able to make some strings work again, but those that don't show up directly in template files still get displayed on the front in default language.

Edited by Roman Norman (see edit history)

Hi Norman, 

Sorry that's what happens in case you have several tab's open. I answered to the wrong question:) Can you share a URL- I just want to understand if the string are connected to the Theme itself or they're part of any modules. 

Also once you upgraded your store, did you delete all the old modules which where Ps 1.6. 

To bb e honest I've lost you on the following part : ""  several strings not provided by Classic theme stopped showing up" ==> you have string showing off which are not part of the classics theme ?

Are you using a specific theme or the classic one, as exporting all strings from the classic one and imported back to ?????

I suppose I'm the only one who doesn't get it, still a  URL would be helpful. Also what PS version are we talking, which strings are you referring to? 

Cheers, 

Leo

It's PS 1.7.7.1, please take a look. Strings like Checkout, My Wishlist, My Cart, item remain in English, even though they have translations, which can be checked out in the backoffice. According to this guide (also linked earlier), Case 2 - I have strings in my theme that don't exist in default "Classic" theme. I managed to get them working again. The problem remains with strings provided by modules. I'm not sure how to tackle this and the guide is not mentioning such case.

• 3 months later...
On 1/16/2021 at 4:03 PM, Roman Norman said:

It's PS 1.7.7.1, please take a look. Strings like Checkout, My Wishlist, My Cart, item remain in English, even though they have translations, which can be checked out in the backoffice. According to this guide (also linked earlier), Case 2 - I have strings in my theme that don't exist in default "Classic" theme. I managed to get them working again. The problem remains with strings provided by modules. I'm not sure how to tackle this and the guide is not mentioning such case.

@Roman Norman, Did You find solution for this? Got the same issue.

Many themes heavily cache their content. Sometimes can help to clear cache, but sometimes you must save the theme settings even nothing has changed. LeoThemes themes are an example. You must save the product detail page settings to make it work.

@Inter Svetainė No, unfortunately I never did. Right now the shop functions only in one language, so we ended up hardcoding proper sentences directly in templates.

@tuk66 Believe me I know a thing about it. In fact, thanks to PS, I became so paranoid about it that I got a reflex of clearing the cache even after flushing the toilet.

Overall my over 4 month experience of running the store on Prestashop has been one of the greatest disappointments of my life. If I ever knew how much stress, headaches, anger and sleepless nights it would cost me, I'd just outsource it and be done with it. I'll say it out loud. Prestashop is a piece of crap. Issues are piling up faster than they can be solved. Every (even minor) update breaks something which requires a week to fix. Documentation is inconsistent, outdated and useless. Modules seem to be written during lunch brake and it's insane how they cost a small fortune. And last but not least, the forum is just a wall of tears with thousands of unsolved problems like this one.

This is not a rant. I had months to cool off and I can say this calmly - the next incarnation of this store will not use PS and I'd advise to anyone who considers to use PS to power their webshop: don't. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

• Thanks 1