Set Multiple Ean13 (barcodes) for the same product

Digital360Europe

I want to add 2 or even 3  Ean13 barcodes to the same product.

My client imports the same product from different countries and  sometimes for the exact same product we have a different barcode.

For example:

EAN-13 or JAN barcode: 5203069038457, 5203069026362

Has anyone done anything like this to help me? 

How I see the possible solutions:

1. Solution multi store

2. On BO product page you can create product "with combinations" and than define different ean

3. modify the ps_product table in your db and add extra column for the ean13_2, also modify productcontroller in /backoffice folder, someting similar here (link). But this case, users can't search in search bar ean13_2 exept you will add something to search class.

4. Create 3 different products with different codes and description with tags, for example [EU], [US] etc.

I recommend you to use method 2 or 4.

P.S. it's strange product have 2or3 different ean codes. If it's same product for different markets (Asia, usa, eu) - it's not the same product really, because of [example: ingredients, size, package etc.] different properties. Even you have all the same - check back of the product: sequence of the details are different.

• Confused 1

An alternative to what Amantha proposes is to use existing fields that you don't use at the moment. UPC and (in 1.7) ISBN might be candidates. You would need to increase the UPC field size from 12 to 13. 

Another approach would be to only use the EAN13 field but to increase its size to 39 so that it can contain 3 codes.

The advantage of using existing fields is that you need to change the code on fewer places.

• Like 1