Can't upgrade 3rd party modules

Joey

Each time we try to upgrade a 3rd party module we're getting the following error:  Can't extract module in public_html/var/cache/prod/sandbox/5db6fc779841b/ to get its name.  This never used to happen, we're not sure what changed on our end.  Any suggestions, it seems that the core PS modules upgrade fine when needed (like faceted search)?  We're running 1.7.5.2... we're concerned about upgrading to 1.7.6 if we can't do a simple module upgrade. Thanks

I've seen this posted as a solution before... it may work for some, but it doesn't work for me for some reason.  It must have something to do with how it's creating a temp folder with 777 as permission as opposed to 755... but I don't know why

• 2 months later...

Nope... nothing.  I don't even know if this is still an issue after 1.7.5, but upgrading from 1.7.5 to a less stable 1.7.6 sounds like a nightmare to us especially since we're getting these permission errors just trying to upgrade a module.  The worst part of this is that modules in your back office tell you that new versions are available and then they fail to apply.  If you're outside of the 3 month period (which is a ridiculously short amount of time to get support after a module purchase) the developers refuse to send you the zip file (because for some reason re-uploading the module works where upgrading does not).  

3 minutes ago, Joey said:

Nope... nothing.  I don't even know if this is still an issue after 1.7.5, but upgrading from 1.7.5 to a less stable 1.7.6 sounds like a nightmare to us especially since we're getting these permission errors just trying to upgrade a module.  The worst part of this is that modules in your back office tell you that new versions are available and then they fail to apply.  If you're outside of the 3 month period (which is a ridiculously short amount of time to get support after a module purchase) the developers refuse to send you the zip file (because for some reason re-uploading the module works where upgrading does not).  

Exactly what we´ve experienced. We´ve been talking about leaving PS if this mess doesn´t solve itself. :(

Thanx for answering so quickly!

Did you check if any of the parent directories are set to 777? and that the owner / group are similar to all other folders?

While 777 is not recommended, it's not likely the cause for not being able to extract files there.

You can also try looking at the server's main PHP log while trying the upgrade, and see if it provides additional information about the issue.

9 hours ago, tomerg3 said:

Did you check if any of the parent directories are set to 777? and that the owner / group are similar to all other folders?

While 777 is not recommended, it's not likely the cause for not being able to extract files there.

You can also try looking at the server's main PHP log while trying the upgrade, and see if it provides additional information about the issue.

We also tried that and even though 777 and the rights are all set, the modules didn´t update with that. We´re also logged in with the right Add-On account where we bought the modules and the update was still available within the service time. We have a PHP Tester installed and each and every mandatory part is confirmed as enough. All green. :( So even this doesn´t mean the upgrade process will go through.

@Joey Mind you, we have now downloaded all modules and installed manually. But nevertheless. PS is a pain in the a** when it comes to upgrading. We tried updating to 1.7.6 and the 1-click install crashed several times. I´ve asked if anyone can spot the reason from the crash log, but no answer so far. So we had to use our backups again and again. It´s not funny anymore.

bachmama: I definitely agree about auto upgrades.

I don't even bother with PS upgrades, unless there's a major security fix, or a new feature that I was looking for and couldn't add myself.

The general rule is "Stay with the bugs you know and love, rather that risk getting new ones"...

• Like 1