Upgrading fails

Hello,

I am trying to update my Prestashop from V7.0 something to the latest.

My Prestashop has no 3rd party modules with a very basic setup.

I first tried using the 1 click uploader but nothing happens when clicking the button.

I then tried a manual update, it shows a blank page on the upgrade script: /install/upgrade/upgrade.php

I have tried turning on debugging, dev mode and nothing is working.

Visiting the admin directory mentions deleting the install directory which is fine but no database updates have been made thus far.

Any assistance/recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks.

I re-named the install directory and was able to login as admin, it's showing the correct version but I'm unsure about if the database was updated correctly.

The front-end does not work at all:

https://goldsilvermerchant.com/

I have flushed the cache, re-uploaded the classic theme.

Nothing shown in the error logs and unsure how to troubleshoot next.

Edit: All admin pages work perfectly and I can't see any missing data. So it appears to be a front-end issue.

Edited by zomex (see edit history)

i think its hard to say what happened, but maybe you can check your php version. 1.7.6.1 works with latest version of php. Sometimes that will help. Personally i think you first will have to roll back to your previous version of prestashop. Set php to 7.1 and then try to upgrade. I should do this in a development area and not on your live shop.

4 minutes ago, Curious said:

i think its hard to say what happened, but maybe you can check your php version. 1.7.6.1 works with latest version of php. Sometimes that will help. Personally i think you first will have to roll back to your previous version of prestashop. Set php to 7.1 and then try to upgrade. I should do this in a development area and not on your live shop.

Thanks for your reply.

The upgrade was first attempted in PHP V7.1.

Very true, I only did the live site as it's a testing site to begin with. It is not that important to me at this time.

I have a backup which I can restore it's just very annoying considering this only effects the front-end. The backend appears to be fine.

Silly moment, I assumed degugging mode was set in the /config/defines.inc.php file. I have enabled it via the admin panel and here is the results:

https://goldsilvermerchant.com/

The content/settings are production but I not launched the website yet so I wasn't worried about updating the prod site and I have a backup. Even so I should have created a dev copy but I didn't expect to run into these issues because everything on my install is stock Prestashop.

https://goldsilvermerchant.com/32-tubes

Table 'goldsilvermercha_shop.ps_layered_filter_block' doesn't exist

Perhaps this is a sign that the database update did not run sucessfully.

I appretiate your time, if you're not able to find the cause I will restore my backup and try the update on a dev copy. But I expect that I will run into the same issues. Prestashop is amazing software but looking at the amount of issues reported with upgrades and the fact that the 1 click update module didn't work at all leaves me with some concern for the future.

i am not a developer, they can give you for sure more answers about the errors. But if it was my site i should remove everything and start it over. I never do upgrades myself, i just build a new one and migrate it with a migration module to the new site and then move it (when everything is correct) That way has never given me any worries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Curious said:

i am not a developer, they can give you for sure more answers about the errors. But if it was my site i should remove everything and start it over. I never do upgrades myself, i just build a new one and migrate it with a migration module to the new site and then move it (when everything is correct) That way has never given me any worries.

Thanks, may I ask which migration module you use?

https://addons.prestashop.com/nl/migratie-backup/8934-migrationpro-upgrade-en-migratietool-voor-prestashop.html

Thisone, its an expensive module but it has also saved me a lot of headaches. I know there are more possibilities and maybe they are also good.

https://addons.prestashop.com/nl/migratie-backup/32298-prestashop-migrator-safely-upgrade-prestashop-to-17.html   I know personally this developer delivers good work and also is very helpfull. But i use the firstone, and it works perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, you have been very helpful.

I can't justify the cost of these modules for a non-production site.

Not at all impressed with Prestashop, I have used a lot of different software and this is by far the worst in terms of upgrades. I am going to reconsider Prestashop all together, I can't trust that it will be reliable in future if updates are impossible.

Well the only thing i can say Prestashop is not perfect, but other open source programms also have their difficulties. I now use Prestashop for about 4 years, the first year with a lot of issues(mostly caused by myself) but now for 3 years without any problems. I must say that most of the shops are still on 1.6(latest version) and they work perfect. No major problems at all.

What i always do is install it on a perfectly optimized server for prestashop, thats the first best thing to do. And i always install manually, not with a 1 click install like installatron or softacolous. It has never given me any major problems at all. In 1.7 versions of prestashop i know its not easy, but i see every version is getting better.

I tried a lot of open source software for webshops, but prestashop is doing the best for me at this moment. I know its a personal experience, and i also know how hard it is when you try and you get stuck on things you dont understand.

Anyway, goodluck with deciding and ofcourse have a nice evening/day

• Like 1

Op 11-10-2019 om 10:32 PM, Curious zei:

Well the only thing i can say Prestashop is not perfect, but other open source programms also have their difficulties. I now use Prestashop for about 4 years, the first year with a lot of issues(mostly caused by myself) but now for 3 years without any problems. I must say that most of the shops are still on 1.6(latest version) and they work perfect. No major problems at all.

What i always do is install it on a perfectly optimized server for prestashop, thats the first best thing to do. And i always install manually, not with a 1 click install like installatron or softacolous. It has never given me any major problems at all. In 1.7 versions of prestashop i know its not easy, but i see every version is getting better.

I tried a lot of open source software for webshops, but prestashop is doing the best for me at this moment. I know its a personal experience, and i also know how hard it is when you try and you get stuck on things you dont understand.

Anyway, goodluck with deciding and ofcourse have a nice evening/day

I'm glad to hear of your positive experience. I also avoid the 1 click installs for the same reason.

I am too stubborn for my own good and after spending 5 hours uploading the 20k+ files I didn't want to give up. Thankfully I seem to be making progress.

I replaced all of the files with the latest version (after re-naming the admin) then I moved the single file that contains the DB info. Now I am adding any images/data from the old files to the new and it seems to be ok. I used FileZilla to upload all of the files and there wasn't any error logs. Perhaps an existing old file was causing the issue or a glitch during the upload of the files.

My only concern now is that I didn't have any confirmation that the DB was updated but there's a good chance it was as I'm not seeing any errors in the admin and it is showing the correct version.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:10 AM, Frevab said:

I tried all of these steps. They were the guides I was following to update.

But I believe the update of the DB did process it just didn't show me confirmation.