Upgrading Prestashop 1.2.x, 1.3.x And 1.4.x -> 1.5.x

Hey Everyone.

I'm a system administrator that has just been handed a task to upgrade a little over a dozen or more PrestaShop sites to the latest version 1.5.x. In a previous job I had terrible problems upgrading PrestaShop with the automated tool. So even if I had that option available to me I'd still prefer to do it manually just so I can be confident I haven't missed anything.

These PrestaShop sties are running a number of different versions... 1.2.5.0, 1.3.1.1, 1.3.6.0, 1.3.7.0, 1.5.4.1, 1.4.6.2, 1.4.7.0 and 1.4.8.2.

Now I assume there aren't many major changes inside major revisions 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4. But what changes have happened between those major revisions do I need to take into count when I upgrade these sites? I remember hearing that the version of Smarty has changed meaning all themes between certain major revisions are completely incompatible Since I understand all these sites are using custom themes this will be a large portion of my time fixing this.

Is there any documentation detailing the differences between Smarty versions?

Or any other documentation detailing the changes between major revisions and how to upgrade them?

Sorry if this is re-asking a lot that has already come in this forum, but I'm not sure there is much info about going up from 1.2 or 1.3 to 1.5, mostly 1.4 to 1.5.

If anyone can provide any leads I'd be ever so thankful.

Thanks

Russ

The biggest things you will have to deal with are

1) The themes being used on each website will no longer work. You will need to either use the new default theme packaged with v1.5, or find a new theme.

2) Any custom/third party module will likely no longer work. They will require updating before you try to use them in the new version.

Don't even bother with the auto upgrade tool, go to the resources menu here on the Prestashop website, and read through the Upgrade guide located in the developers guide section.

If you are looking for professional assistance, send me a PM and we can discuss in further detail.

Every single upgrade should go through a test upgrade. That means you copy the database and files to a test subdomain/domain. That way, if you encounter any errors or issues, you know beforehand. This can minimize the downtime of your live store.

I also suggest a manual upgrade. http://doc.prestashop.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=5374295

• 7 months later...