Warning: beware of some “Free” PrestaShop modules

Dreamtheme

Hello there,

Recently i have noticed bad and harmful code used inside some of the free PrestaShop modules offered out there that can seriously harm your PrestaShop stores. In this case in particularly is the module called  “Banner Popup Free Module PrestaShop 1.7” developed by waterthemes.

While i did not test all his modules, i just want community to be aware for such bad practices and developers. You can read more about it on our blog article here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a follow up,

The developer “Waterthemes” has contacted us and although he requested the removal of some of the material in the article, which we refused to do, at least he promised that he will change the code in his module, and i really hope he will do it.

What is even more interesting is that black-hatting (as this technique is called) is not only unfair - as you never accepted for it to be implemented - it can also be DESTRUCTIVE for your website. Google is extremely serious against these kind of methods. Within a matter of days your domain can be shadowbanned from Google, quite litteraly, forever.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Christian_Flapton said:

Thanks for the warning, Dreamtheme! And I'm so glad that you've refused to edit your article. Call me naive, but I've never knew that these practices are used to harm your website's SEO. I always thought that these methods are used for stealing your personal data only.

There are good ways and bad ways to do it, not every developer link is bad, but this developer chose the bad way, altho he promised to change it. The good way to link is not to use heading tags, but normal link tag, visible to the user so that he is aware of it, and with "no follow" tag for the link so that the link doesn't use your website SEO "juice".