Var directory too big

Babilrob

Hello,

today we had the website offline cause we reached the hosting limits during a backoffice work and we examinated the space occupation: we found the VAR directory that reached something like 800Mb.

Now... I read something searching on the web about the use of debug mode that influence the file created in this directory. It's correct? Cause we have our theme developers that are working everyday on the theme (it's full of minor issues...) and I would like to understand if it's cause of their works that this happened.

I need really to fix this situation fast cause we're trying to publish the e-commerce in the next days and we can't stop cause of this bad situation...

You can clear all folders and files in /var/cache/ without risk. Prestashop will regenerate it when needed.

If you use debug mode, you should see 2 folders prod and dev.

They can be deleted without risk, without debug mode, dev folder is not necessary and only prod will be regenerated 

Not sure delete all var directory is good. For /var/cache/ I know it will be recreated. For others subfolders I never test it...

So maybe you can put the /var directory of an empty Prestashop corresponding to your version. (Like the one inside the original zip)

• 8 months later...
On 5/15/2019 at 6:02 PM, Babilrob said:

Hello Janett,

Prestashop recreate every single subfolder... I have them again and no problem actually on the website

Hello Babilrob,

I have faced same issue here. my var directory is almost 12 GB . So please suggest me what to do ??? 

On 5/14/2019 at 4:03 PM, Janett said:

You can clear all folders and files in /var/cache/ without risk. Prestashop will regenerate it when needed.

They can be deleted without risk, without debug mode, dev folder is not necessary and only prod will be regenerated 

Dear Janett,

Greetings Of the day

I have faced the same issue now. my VAR directory reached to 12 GB . so really I am in trouble. I don't know What to do. If I delete Var directory it could be effect on my website, may be the website did not open and caused lots of error. So please requesting you suggest me what to do now. ???

On 2/13/2020 at 9:34 AM, arpan mondal said:

Dear Janett,

Greetings Of the day

I have faced the same issue now. my VAR directory reached to 12 GB . so really I am in trouble. I don't know What to do. If I delete Var directory it could be effect on my website, may be the website did not open and caused lots of error. So please requesting you suggest me what to do now. ???

Hi

You should not delete var folder, only cache folder inside var folder.

You can delete safely all folders and files inside the var/cache folder. That’s will be regenerated automatically when needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys,

What about this file?
root/var/logs/dev.log 

This file have a huge size causing the backups very slow. My dev.log file is over 800MB. 
As far as I know this file contains all errors during development process like lack of translations ect. 
So can we safely delete this file or any logs inside the var folder? 
I was working for a very long time with debugging option enabled so maybe this caused the file so huge? 

I will appreciate any help on this. 
Best Regards,

• 5 months later...

On 5/14/2019 at 3:03 PM, Janett said:

hi,

i delete a file from this address:

“/home/clickish/public_html/var/cache/dev/profiler/0f/23”.

but my site damaged. i see the html coding in site :((

please help me!

2.thumb.png.bcd7ea147ee90d3c2fcfa1ae6e8cc30c.pngprestashop erorr.png

Edited by sg.ghasemi
add pic (see edit history)