New to Prestashop, created csv file with correct headers but still won't upload - help please

Hello everyone,

I am new to Prestashop but have had an online ekm shop for over two years. I have installed prestashop here:-
www.equinesupplements.uk.com

I have created an csv file with all the fields as shown in prestashop tutorial, but it won't upload. So I received a sample file but when I open this in excel many fields are all in the same column. I have realised that fields are seperated by ';' but does any one know or can any one email me a sample file that will open in excel and actually allow me to enter all product and category data?

I have attached the part finished csv spreadsheet file all with correct header names and so on, if anyone can take a look and email me back info on what I'm doing wrong I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Marc

equinesupplements.csv

Hello everyone,

I am new to Prestashop but have had an online ekm shop for over two years. I have installed prestashop here:-
www.equinesupplements.uk.com

I have created an csv file with all the fields as shown in prestashop tutorial, but it won't upload. So I received a sample file but when I open this in excel many fields are all in the same column. I have realised that fields are seperated by ';' but does any one know or can any one email me a sample file that will open in excel and actually allow me to enter all product and category data?

I have attached the part finished csv spreadsheet file all with correct header names and so on, if anyone can take a look and email me back info on what I'm doing wrong I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Marc

Hi Marc,

From your description, here are the few things which cause the problems you encounter:

1. You created your csv file by conversion from Excel and attempted to upload it from BO.
2. You use Excel to open csv files by default
3. The csv file you created and attached in post #1 is ',' field seperated (converted by Excel)
4. You didn't change the field seperator to ',' in BO >> Tools >> Import when uploading your csv file (when it's directly converted via Excel). The default field seperator for Prestashop CSV is ';'

To avoid the problems you experienced, it'll be much easier when you use OpenOffice's Calc (spreadsheet) program, which is equivalent to Excel.

Reasons are:

1. You can create spreadsheets exactly like in Excel but much more user-friendly when converting, opening and editing CSV files. Calc convert spreadsheets to csv files with ";" seperated fields by default.

2. You can open CSV files directly using the appropriate field seperator, view and edit them in seperate columns.