Total does not include tax when using PAYPAL.

mytheory.

Hi,

So very recently we had an issue where an order had a "Payment Error" because the total amount was different the amount paid. The customer used PayPal as their payment option... we charge tax based on the state. So if the customer is ordering or shipping to GA a tax is charged to the total all other orders do not include tax.

Paypal works fine, but in this situation the customer was using a GA address so prestashop would implement the state tax, then he/she would select PayPal as the payment option, but then when they were redirected to PayPal's page the product totals DID NOT include the tax. So the customer is charged less and the confirmation sent back to PS reflects a lower amount than the actual amount due.

We are still using v1.2.5 and PayPal 1.6... I've noticed the new PS versions are using an updated PayPal module so I don't know if this bug has been corrected, and if so, if it would be safe to use the newly updated module.

Main question is: is there a fix for this? Seems like the data being sent to PayPal should include tax if applicable.

For the time being we set up a state tax directly on PayPal and it seems like it works but I can see how in some situations this could cause inconsistencies and payment errors. I would like this to be internally fixed in PS so the correct information/data is passed from the getgo.

THANKS!!

• 1 month later...

Sorry I have not managed to figure it out... spent several hours when I originally came across this issue, but not much thereafter.

We only apply tax to 1 state and we have other payment options so the percentage of PayPal users in the tax applicable state is still low, so we are just settling for setting it in PayPal (it was that way). We were planning to upgrade, so we were hoping this issue might be fixed in the new 1.4 versions but I guess not. What a shame.

I can't believe that nobody else is having this issue. The customer's cart total is correct before selecting paypal, but as soon as they go to the paypal page, their total is the item cost plus the country tax (for Canada) regardless of where they're buying from (ie. any province, or even the USA!)!!

Yea I agree.

I recently had a problem... where now it seems like the correct price is being past onto PayPal. Remember after in my initial post I ended up having PayPal add a state tax... and when I tested it (back then) it worked fine. However, the other day someone made a purchase but the correct total (which included tax from PS) was passed to PayPal, but since I set up the tax rule in PayPal she got charged tax again. Essentially, tax from PS setup and then again from PayPal's tax rule. Needless to say I deactivated the PayPal tax rule as charging customers more didn't make sense.

So I went back to the initial order where I had this issue, and I couldn't find anything different... orders from the same state on my the shipping and delivery address for both their PS and PayPal accounts. The only thing that might (very big might) have been an issue was that the first order (where this initial problem occurred) she purchased 1 item, whereas the second order (where things worked ok except for the additional tax charge from PayPal) she ordered 4 items - so the total of those 4 items each including tax was passed on whereas the 1 item in PS was applied with tax but was passed to PayPal without tax.

Maybe there is a problem when the quantity is 1...?

Hmm...interesting thought. I just tried it with my situation though, and changing the quantity didn`t seem to affect that.

And on top of that, I`m not adding the state tax on the PayPal side because that would add the state tax on top of the country tax meaning the person would end up paying more than they should!

I`ve started a bug tracker on this too....but not a word from them.

So, I've come up with a fix for this for the time being. In Prestashop, I've combined ALL taxes (State and Country Tax) into a State Tax only - there is no Country Tax set. This is the tax that is never sent to PayPal.

Then, in PayPal, I do the same and add BOTH taxes on to the customer's order - State and Country Tax (or no Tax at all for International orders), or whatever tax(es) need to be applied.

This gives the correct full total in Prestashop, and the correct full total in PayPal which then gets sent back to Prestashop and DOES NOT give a payment error.