Upgrading 1.7.4.4 to 1.7.5 - The directory file is not writable.

Hi all,

I have been trying to use 1-click upgrade to go from 1.7.4.4. to 1.7.5 but am facing a permission issue - The directory file is not writable.

After lengthy talks with my hosting they say that permission are set correctly but the requirement only goes green if I set the shop folder to 777. Even with this the update cannot close the zip file (doesn’t have permission) and the update fails, breaks the site and I have to restore a manual backup of files through cpanel.

Searching a few years of posts, I can see that the user/owner permissions should be the domain not the cpanel log in name? is this still the case for 1.7x and if any ideas what my hosting (or myself) need to do, to change it?

Appreciate any help. 

You can't just change the folder to 777 alone unless you use chmod for all the folders and files. Besides which 777 is super insecure. Seems like your hosting needs to set the user (you probably) as the user/ owner with read write and execute permissions, Apache would become group owner with r-x permissions. This would be done using several commands including chown (change owner) and chgrp (change group). Your hosting can do this for you if you can't. They should also set umask correctly so that when you upload or install programs from zip, etc the correct permissions are set. Typically you have 755 for folders and 644 for files.

The upgrade will work without error providing the above is setup properly as I've done it myself. Previous versions (the old threads you're reading) had issues. Make sure you're using the latest 1-click upgrade, should have a link to upgrade in modules).

Thanks for the reply jetx.

I showed this thread to my hosting who said that its all set as drwxr-xr-x 

They also said try with the folder on 777 and revert back to 755 after the upgrade.

I tried again and got the following errors and had to do a manual restore through cpanel again

Errors

Could not close the Zip file properly. Check you are allowed to write on the disk and there is available space on it.

Error while copying file /INSTALL.txt Error when trying to upgrade file /INSTALL.txt. zip->extractTo(): unable to use /home/username/public_html/test1 as extract destination.

[ERROR] /img/c/5-category_default.jpg has not been unzipped: write_protected

Unable to extract file /home/username/public_html/test1/adminpage/autoupgrade/backup/auto-backupfiles_V1.7.4.4_20190110-123126-6c0f285f.zip into directory /home/username/public_html/test1.