differnt category home, category and product pages

Hi,

I am still stuggling to understand if I can have different content on my category home pages and product pages in the columns. My category pages need to include new sections and features products for that category and use a two column template, The products pages are three columns however. I know I can use CSS to target the body ID, but I need to have quite different XHTML on each of these sections.

I can see that in idex.php in the site root, the following info is included

?php

include(dirname(__FILE__).'/config/config.inc.php');
include(dirname(__FILE__).'/header.php');

$smarty->assign('HOOK_HOME', Module::hookExec('home'));
$smarty->display(_PS_THEME_DIR_.'index.tpl');

include(dirname(__FILE__).'/footer.php');

Does the bit: $smarty->assign('HOOK_HOME', Module::hookExec('home'));
mean that there is the possibility to create Module::hookExec('category_home')); so that I can then style the main HTML for this section alone, I am wondering if I can add the right_column html into a module to control html code for my layout without having to put it all in header or footer.tpl which is used site-wide. (Put simply I only want the main page layout HTML included on a page only when needed)

This may not ideal of course as it seems quite a lot of work just to control the main page html layouts I need. But I do need to accommodate 1,2,3 and 4 column layouts in one single store so need to be able to specify this information for home, category_home, Products, without having to have those main column html included in each page

Can anyone throw any light on this area please?