My first attempt at prestashop shop, any critique is welcome.

FutureLED

• 1 month later...
RU connected is a new Dutch brand with high-end audio and hdmi cables.

Yes we are, but how is this relevant to this topic?

Ontopic: Maybe you could customize your theme a bit to make your store more unique and fitting your products. Also maybe you could put more info about you and your company on the about page. At the moment the about page isn't really convincing me to buy something at your store.

Hi Wesellbulbs,

For you first attempt at a store, you did superb job. Here are a few comments that I hope provide some value to you:

1. Using the default template is a great place to start and I think the color of most of your pictures goes well with the default colors of the default template. You may want to start thinking about upgrading to a snazzy new template (costs money) to take your site's look to the next level. You store's professional image could be improved substantially with a cool looking template.

2. I saw a couple comments about the tags block. I've had an opportunity to visit with some of my SEO friends, who are SEO professionals, about tag blocks and their usefulness. They have told me that, at best, Tag blocks, are not used by Google to improve your search rankings (at least not anymore). At worst, they show your competition what keywords you are trying to rank for in the most obvious way possible. It's not that you competition doesn't have other ways to figure them out, but why make it easy for someone to compete with you? Because of these two concerns, I would recommend eliminating Tag blocks entirely, unless you have a very, very good reason to have them.

3. I like your "Click for Savings Calculator" block and I'm glad you didn't put it in a standard block, which would have looked weird.

4. What version of PrestaShop is this? I'm assuming it is a 1.3.x version, correct?

5. It appears that this is an on-line store only, with no physical store. Is that correct?

6. I noticed you have a phone number listed in your About page. I would suggest you strongly consider finding a location on your Home page to display that number. Giving customers an easy way to contact (call) you instills confidence that you can solve their problems or concerns both before the sale and after.

7. Your Delivery page in the Information block uses all-caps text. I would avoid this, unless you need to do it for some legal reason. Keep in mind that most people perceive all-caps as shouting and that can offend many people.

8. I noticed that you also had some amount of all-caps at the top of your Legal Notice page. I would ask if that was necessary. If you think it is, that's perfectly OK, just keep in mind what I said in Item #7. If there is a way that you can remove some, or all, of the all-caps and just have that section bolded, even that would be a significant improvement.

9. Consider your Information pages (Delivery, Legal Notice, Terms & Conditions, etc.) as another opportunity to sell, or drive people away. Your content on these pages looks sound. However, you might think about ways to communicate the information in a clear, yet inviting tone.

10. Is there anything else you could put on your About page, such as an interesting story about how you got started? Maybe you could put some interesting pictures of yourself or your staff (if you have a staff) on that page. I think I can safely say that most people are voyeurs and they love a good story. That's part of the reason Facebook is so successful.

11. I randomly looked at some of your products and noticed that most of them have a description that is in a bold typeface. Some of those descriptions have lowercase and all-caps together in the same description, but they are both bold typeface, which doesn't allow the all-caps to truly stand out. You might want to reconsider the all bold and use it more sparingly to really emphasize things that are important. All-bold is just like, all-caps in that it can be perceived as talking loudly or shouting. People eventually tune out shouters.

12. I did notice one product (MR16 60 LED Warm White) that had a mix of non-bold, bold, and all-caps typeface. This was distracting and looked like someone added onto the description without any thought to how it was going to look to the customer.

You did a great job and I hope this helps.