Newbie with problems sorry

Hi everyone

I love prestashop and have decided to upgrade my site.

Backed up
Moved web directory
Made a new one
Uploaded the new files
Copied across old settings.inc.php
Copied across old img and theme directories
Set permissions
Fired it up.
Saw problem, restored old backup

Problem is that there are different ads and front page text, etc. I'm figuring that this is in the changed modules and perhaps the data for these modules is not held in the database (why not???). The post I read had said to copy across changed modules as well, but I have no idea which modules I've changed. It was ages ago and I knew utterly nothing about PS when I did it.

Questions:

1. Do you think I'm right that the problem is modules?
2. If I simply copy across all modules in my old setup to the new one, is that likely to be ok and is there a drawback in doing so?

Thanks very much in advance.
Steve.

Maybe this helps, I'm new to this as well?

10.If you had installed some modules which keep their configuration inside a file (instead of the database) such as the “editorial” module (which use the editorial.xml file to store your content) you will have to copy them from your backup to your current module folder (e.g., “/modules/editorial/”).

The homepage text is kept in the editorial.xml file which also needs moved over to the upgraded version, otherwise it will be the default text. It is located in /modules/editorial/.

There is no reason if you upgraded that any new module would be installed that werent already installed on the site, so I would guess the problem is as you have said with the new versions of the modules.

I havent actually tried an upgrade to the new version yet, although i have done lots of fresh installs.

Moving the old modules to the upgraded version could infact break your site more especially if you are upgrading to 1.4 (you didnt say which version).

If I was you I would put your site into maintainance mode and spend a couple of hours putting everything right.

Hi

Thanks very much both of you.

I must say that I'm astounded that it hasn't occurred to the PS folk that we'd be liking to upgrade from time to time and to factor something like that into the equation. They've made such a nice job of everything else.

Do you think that if I checked file timestamps I could determine only which modules I had changed and could copy only those over (hopefully not breaking anything new)? Would that be a reasonable way of tackling it?

Thanks again.

Cheers
Steve