[SOLVED] Database Server Not Found error

Hi everyone,

I've read the forums regarding the infamous error below:

"Database server was not found. Please verify the login, password, and database server name fields."

I've followed everyone's steps and still can't get past Step 3. I've doublechecked permissions, write privileges, proper names, case sensitivity, have tried not using the _ charcater, and tried localhost and 127.0.0.1 and I can't get this to work.

I'm using asmallorange.com as a host and have had no problems with this.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS WHAT I CAN DO TO GET THIS WORK

Thanks in advance,
Denis

;-) I have checked the database details and everything is set properly. With Wordpress I connect to localhost just fine but not with PrestaShop. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Denis

Did your host confirm that?

Hi everyone,

I've read the forums regarding the infamous error below:

"Database server was not found. Please verify the login, password, and database server name fields."

I've followed everyone's steps and still can't get past Step 3. I've doublechecked permissions, write privileges, proper names, case sensitivity, have tried not using the _ charcater, and tried localhost and 127.0.0.1 and I can't get this to work.

I'm using asmallorange.com as a host and have had no problems with this.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS WHAT I CAN DO TO GET THIS WORK

Thanks in advance,
Denis

Are you using Cpanel, MySql or MySql Wizard tab to create database and user name and did you link your user name to the database?

You could try MySql wizard to create the database and username linked together if manual setup does not work.

TakeDat,
I submitted a request to Tech Support at my host to doublecheck settings and am waiting to hear back.

Xooi,
I created the database in CPANEL using the MySQL module, I then added a new user with full privs to the newly created table and submitted the request. CPANEL confirmed that my action was done.

I would imagine the PrestaShop install process would say that the password is incorrect instead of saying that the server was not found.

I'm still stuck and waiting to hear back from my host's support dept with any add'l ideas. If anyone can think of anything else, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,
Denis
;-)

UPDATE:

All, so I managed to get past of Step 3 in the Setup, the actual issue was something password related and the error message Database server not found was entirely misleading. The server was found but something was up with the passwords. I tried recreating the passwords in Cpanel, then respecified the new password in step 3 and poof, it worked.

Thanks for all the time and energy.

Best,
Denis

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I had this problem too...

What I discovered while trying to get the program to install is that my conventional way of generating password through cpanel is to use uppercase, lowercase, numbers, symbols and a 16 character length ( ie: uH,bp)~v~Fg{)RGH ). Which are very strong passwords. But for some reason even though all my information was correct it still would not connect to the database.

After reading what people wrote here I decided to try a test install and used "test" as my database password and it connected fine. Considering the possibility that it had something to do with the PrestaShop program (I have installed other shopping carts with my conventional password schema with no problem), I decided to change my schema to only use uppercase, lowercase, numbers and 24 characters (a moderately strong password) and it connected without a problem.

What I would like to find out still, PrestaShop Team, is what special characters can I use in my password.

Thanks, and I hope this helps anyone else frustrated with this problem.

-Sean

3721_2fSMqs8raXBD51uilhwO_t