Upgraded to 1.4.0.12.... It worked.. Well I hope so

Hi, I have just tried out the upgrade process for the first time as I have used PS for 2 years now and I was always dubious of ugrading because of the trouble people go through. I even redone my whole site in 1.3.0.1 from scratch on a test server to save upgrading. But tonight I upgraded a copy of my 1.3 and hey presto it worked....

My question is, when it says you have upgraded you can view a log, is this the log of what has been actually upgraded or a log of errors?

Kind Regards,

Mark.

The log is just the SQL queries executed plus errors and warnings. Not exactly an easy read!

In theory for an upgrade is should just be the "changes", although some of the statements may have just been ignored (if things like "IF NOT EXISTS" is used).

Paul

If you're being particularly fussy (I do this, but then I have been called a bit of a perfectionist) and/or you've had a store for a long time and this is an upgrade of an upgrade of an upgrade, then you might want to consider doing a "fresh" install to another database and then exporting the database structure only (untick the data section in phpmyadmin). You can then do the same on your live site and use file comparison software to check whether the structure of your site matches that of a new install. There may be a few differences that you may wish to fix up by hand.

The upgrade scripts aren't perfect, but pretty good.

Paul

Paul

Is this to move the old structure into the new tables. How exactly do I do this?
I have a fresh 1.4.12 which I have developed a theme for, but all my products remain in my 1.2.4 shop database.

Is there a step by step dummies guide to help transfer my data from the current SQL database into my new 1.4.12 database?

This would be a massive help

Best regards
Pinkloveshy

All you should need to do is run the installer on the current (1.2.4) database and the upgrade script will handle it (just point your new install at the old database and run the installer as an upgrade). Remember to keep the settings file from the old install too as the password encryption needs that. You can do this all on a development machine and only move the whole lot over when you're happy that the process works. I've never (touch wood) had a problem with an upgrade yet and have been using Prestashop since pre 1.0 :)

The above is a further step to then verify that the structure of the new database (i.e. the upgraded old database) is identical to one from a fresh install. Not essential, but I have noticed in the past small differences which I like to eliminate! My theory is that small differences building up over several upgrades *might* eventually cause you problems, although most that I have found have been fairly "safe" e.g. a field of size int(11) instead of int(10). Other things like a field that should be set to unsigned *might* however cause a problem in the future.

Paul