Prestashop 1.7.3 running painfully slow!

Why is my site running soooo slow?!?

I have a custom theme on the site, but even with the default Prestashop theme it's so slow to load in every page – including basic pages such as about page.

I know that I can benefit from adding a good caching module, but would site really be this slow even without the module? Simulating on pingdom.com takes 19 seconds to load the index page. 19 seconds!!

images are not that large, and even if I disable the modules that use images, it does not help any.

My server specs are :
RAM: 19GB
PROCESSES 1,500/min
MEMORY: 768MB

PHP VERSION: 7.1

See the attached image from pingdom – the long yellow wait time is for the index.php file

In the backend I'm really confused how to setup the performance page... I read some blogs saying that Smarty caching is bad for performance, some say it is good. See the other image of the setup in my performance page.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 9.54.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 9.58.59 AM.png

Edited by Simetria (see edit history)

smarty cache is not enabled, that is  big impact

https://www.screencast.com/t/NbAI9h1B

apache optimization should be set to yes....this has to do mostly with mod_expires

https://www.screencast.com/t/o6Muy4BIJs

re cache modules, we have a lot of PS experience and one of the biggest issues clients coming in the door have are 'directly' related to vodoo cache modules...they break the cart to the  point you don't even know it.  WE DO NOT RECOMMEND CACHE MODULES PERIOD.

enable per above  and the review your performance reports.

happy optimizing, el

For professional optimization services click  here.

1 minute ago, Simetria said:

Unfortunately not much difference El Patron.

Again the index page took ~18 seconds to load.

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 12.18.51 PM.png

That's the best advices I can give without access and running reports.  Performance is an science and requires shop manager to have a lot of different knowledges.  I prefer gtmetrix and also page speed is measured 'above the fold',  not so much how fast your footere loaded.

happy optimizing, el

50 minutes ago, Simetria said:

El Patron,

How can i reach you privately?

Thanks.

Hi,  thanks for reaching out.  You can use the contact me on our shop here.  also you can message me via forum by clicking on my avatar.  

you can also review our performance service here:

https://www.prestaheroes.com/en-us/prestashop-development-services/optimization/google-page-speed-optimization

We are the only PS agency to run PrestaShop as our front end so we appreciate how difficult it can be at times lol.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2020 at 12:41 PM, creasolstore said:

Hi Simetria,

I have the same long time page generation problem, on PrestaShop 1.7.6 : maybe you can complete this forum thread specifying what you've done to solve the problem, and mark the thread as SOLVED !

Thank you in advance.

Paolo

In my case, prestashop was really slow because the website was cracked in just few hours.
So, I've found that it's really important to set owner != www-data (or other webserver user), set group=www-data and enable write permission only for few directories and files that really need to be written by the web server.
For this purpose I made a silly script that can be called in this way:
prestashop_permissions.sh normal   ### restrict write permissions
prestashop_permissions.sh upgrade ### set write permissions to permit upgrade

prestahopPermissions.sh

• Like 2