Updating One Click Upgrade just broke my shop

Dagorlad

I just clicked the Update button for the One Click upgrade and it reported a Fatal Error and now I cannot log in to the back office. The shopfront appears to still be workinbg but when I log into the back office I get a blank screen.

I'd love to give you the version and even the error message, but I cannot even get that.

How do I back out of an upgrade? This is a critical issue and I have no idea how to fix it.

My apologies for annoying you El Patron. I think I needed to be more explicit in my original post.

I wasn't updating the shop itself, I was updating the module that is used to update it. I clicked on the yellow Update button in the Modules page because it wasn't the latest version of the AutoUpgrade. The solution to my problem (provided by the very helpful and not in the least bit annoyed member Curious) was to delete the AutoUpgrade folder.

Thanks for the link to the Update process too - I already have it bookmarked though, since only a complete fool would upgrade a live shop without backing things up first,.

I also apologise for the apparent re-post - I couldn't find this post after all of the chinese-looking spam was cleaned out and I thought mine had been deleted along with them.

• Like 1

Listen to el patron. YOU broke YOUR SHOP by updating in a LIVE environment. So his comment still stands. Test first before updating anything.

5 hours ago, PrestaRalph said:

Listen to el patron. YOU broke YOUR SHOP by updating in a LIVE environment. So his comment still stands. Test first before updating anything.

And it is mandatory to create a full backup before, even more if you don't have enough experience.

we never load anything to production without first loading to a copy....modules/hacks..

On 8/24/2018 at 6:05 PM, Dagorlad said:

My apologies for annoying you El Patron. I think I needed to be more explicit in my original post.

I wasn't updating the shop itself, I was updating the module that is used to update it. I clicked on the yellow Update button in the Modules page because it wasn't the latest version of the AutoUpgrade. The solution to my problem (provided by the very helpful and not in the least bit annoyed member Curious) was to delete the AutoUpgrade folder.

Thanks for the link to the Update process too - I already have it bookmarked though, since only a complete fool would upgrade a live shop without backing things up first,.

I also apologise for the apparent re-post - I couldn't find this post after all of the chinese-looking spam was cleaned out and I thought mine had been deleted along with them.

well then crisis averted then yes?

Ok, here is some more sage advice, don't upgrade 'anything' on production.  if a module says update available but the module is working fine on your shop.....do not update it.....we have one client shop whose security quantines a module upload, i.e. we have to ftp it up.  I wish we had this on all client shops, why?  We have done lots of 911 tech support for poor shop manager who clicked 'update' all in modules panel.  

Annoyed?  Well more like PTSD, for many years we have seen posts about autoupgrade or module upgrade broke my shop.....but to be honest serious shop managers would never dream of updating a production shop without first applying to a dev copy. 

If everyone followed this advice then your post would have been much different, 'updating one click upgrade broke my development shop'.....much less stress on everyone.

Also 'I get  blank screen', a simple search would tell you to enable PS debug mode, this you can supply in your post but to be honest you will probably find solution by searching on that error.

Though writing in this forum is like bird flying through the air it leaves no trace, maybe a few will heed and create a dev copy to perform change first.  el