Permissions - no upload folder - help please

Hi,
Has anyone had the same problem and been able to find an answer please?

1.) :( ... I cannot find an upload folder.

2.) Does /tools/smarty/compile mean change tools AND smarty AND compile, or JUST compile?

3.) Also when I alter permissions recursively to folders and subfolders should I also change permissions on the files within?

(I am referring to these installation instructions:

"While you have your FTP connected to your Web hosting server, make sure the following PrestaShop folders have ‘write’ permissions (also known as “CHMOD 777” – explanation of file permissions here) but do not apply these permissions recursively (to their subfolders): /config, /upload, /download, /tools/smarty/compile. Then make sure the following folders have ‘write’ permissions and apply these permissions recursively (to their subfolders): /img, /mails, /modules, /themes/prestashop/lang, /translations" )

I just installed this myself and am new to this but I'll try to help you. Actually, I have it ready to install and haven't done so yet so I may be premature.

1. I didn't find an upload folder either and was worried about it too. But I don't think this is needed.

2. I changed each folder within /tools/smarty/compile. For example, smarty is within tools and compile is within smarty. I CHMOD them 777.

3. You don't have to alter the subfolders within.

Try it and see if it works. If not, see what error message you get and let us know and we'll take it from there.

Make sure that your server is using PHP 5 or it won't work.

Thank you Bluemoon for taking the time to reply.
Actually in the end, I just ignored the lack of upoad file and, for the tools/smarty/compile, I just changed the compile folder and nothing else.
It seems to work well enough.
I assume that some clearer instructions will be issued one day and I can correct anything I have done wrong.