Images not working after upgrade

We have just upgraded from 1.2.5 to 1.3.5. and everything seems ok except for about 10% of our images are coming up as ? in a box. The images all loaded. It also seems that they come and go, though this may be an illusion depending on cache and refresh status!. Any ideas? thanx
Jon

Hi - I'm working with Jon who posted the above msg re images,

I have left a note over on your recommended fix thread regarding the image problem but it hasn't fixed our problem unfortunately.

I have double checked the images folder, regenerated thumbs and applied the isPicture fix but no joy.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I have also tried using the images.inc.php from 1.3.4 but also no joy there.

THIS ISSUE IS NOW RESOLVED. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Is there a way to verify the images in the images folder?

I am not clear how the image file naming convention works and the relation to the posts they are intended to be associated with - can anyone give a few pointers there?

Thanks!

Edit: As far as I can tell, the files are named on the fly as the pages are generated if using pretty URL's, Is this correct?

When we did the upgrade was the image naming convention also changed? And if so, is it likely that some of the images names and associations got corrupted in some way during the process?

My thinking is: the site is throwing us the 404.gif which implies thats its looked for the associated image but cant find it.