CHMOD for FILES (not FOLDERS)

CHMOD the following folders and it subdirectories (and files) to 777 recursively:-
img, /mails, /modules, /themes/prestashop/lang, /translations

CHMOD the following folder to 777 (not recursively):-
/config, /upload, /download, /tools/smarty/compile

CHMOD the following folders and it subdirectories (and files) to 777 recursively

WHERE did you read that FILES to be set to 777?
I've read ONLY ABOUT FOLDERS. So I repeat my question:

SHOULD I SET FILES TO 777 OR FOLDERS ONLY?

hope this is not so difficult...

If you applied the permissions recursively to their subfolders, it also includes those files. Unless you are using a SSH command to differentiate between files and folders.

I suggest you to try setting all those files under the folders to 777 as well as I do not think there will be any issue with that, unless the server is suPHP/suEXEC enabled (which can only have 644 for all files and 755 for all directories).

If you applied the permissions recursively to their subfolders, it also includes those files.

Not exactly. I can apply CHMOD settings to FOLDERS ONLY, FILES ONLY or BOTH. My ftp client allows me to do that.
Just I dont want to have an additional security hole by applying 777 to php files.
I applied 777 to FOLDERS ONLY. It seems it's OK, but probably some bugs appear due to this...

Only thing I need - this is an EXACT GUIDE, but as presta is NICE, but quite uncooked product, it doesn't have it.

I suggest developers to put ONE WORD to installer that will clearly say we need to set 777 to files, or not.
Because "SET 777 TO FOLDERS RECURSIVELY" may mean both - FOLDERS ONLY and FILES AND FOLDERS.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi JLHC!

Thank you for your explaination. I still don't understand the word "not recursively". So, what kind of permission should I set to files/folders under /config, /upload, /download, /tools/smarty/compile?

My site went blank by this issue since I set wrong permission to smarty folder. This is very important to me. Your help is so much appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...