[SOLVED] How do I get taxes to show up after an item is added to the cart?

Hi,

I'm currently using PrestaShop version 1.3.1 and I could use some help trying to figure out how to be sure I charge Colorado state tax, but I don't want it included in my initial price. Please see http://www.montrosedayspa.com/prestashop/ for an example of my issue.

I want it to show up after the item has been placed in the cart and only for those residents for whom it applies, which are residents of the state of Colorado.

Currently, it only seems like you can choose to add tax to the product price at the time of product creation, which misrepresents the cost of the product for customers who do not reside in Colorado. It is essentially taxing everyone and not just the Colorado residents I am required to tax. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Curt Donohue

Hello,
In presta v.1.3x adding following lines in admin/tabs/admingroups.php should give you possibility in BO to select if prices must be displayed with taxes or without, or with and without (2lines). This option select was in 1.2.5, but 1.3 users need to reintegrate it.

getFieldValue($obj, 'price_display_method')) == PS_TAX_EXC ? ' selected="selected"' : '').'>'.$this->l('Tax excluded').'
getFieldValue($obj, 'price_display_method')) == PS_TAX_INC ? ' selected="selected"' : '').'>'.$this->l('Tax included').'
getFieldValue($obj, 'price_display_method')) == _PS_PRICE_DISPLAY_PRECISION_ ? ' selected="selected"' : '').'>'.$this->l('Tax included excluded').' 

But in order to show specific taxes only for those residents for whom it applies, you must I guess detect customer location.
So that you have to setup a prior IP detection.
Not easy.

Felix,

Thanks for the reply. I guess what I'm not understanding is that most shopping carts that I've seen do not apply tax until the checkout process. I'm assuming that is because it is during that phase that you will know where the customer is from and can then apply the correct taxes.

In other words, most on-line stores I've seen price the products without tax and then the tax is calculated during checkout, not before. Is this not possible with PrestaShop?

""I’m assuming that is because it is during that phase that you will know where the customer is from and can then apply the correct taxes.""
No, most on-lines stores do not distinguish where the customer is coming from. Tax is the same for all. Tax is calculated during checkout, indeed, but %tax in already known (displayed or not) and that's only the calculation which is done (applying % to price, giving so VAT-included price).
What you want to do is for instance tax 12% for customers coming from colorado, and 16% for ones coming from michigan, and etc. etc.
If so, you have to setup each %, and then ask the customer to choose location (address process) then calculate final price.
By defaut Prestashop applies %tax upon products, not upon customers, so you'll need core modifications I guess.

Felix,

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I was searching through the forum a bit more and came across the solution for my issue. It seems to have solved everything I was having trouble with. Here is the forum post:

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/67240/P0/configuring___using_prestashop/us_sales_tax_setup

I appreciate your help.

Curt Donohue